• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED GI5FVAXVB02 Whirlpool Side-by-Side Water Dispenser Control Panel not operating properly

jekyl

Premium Member
Model Number
GI5FVAXVB02
Brand
Whirlpool
I have a Whirlpool Side by Side Frig with the freezer on the bottom and the water/ice dispenser in the door. The touch panel controls for the water dispenser also control the lock-out and the temp settings for the frig & the freezer.

Historically, all settings have worked properly. Suddenly, the ice dispense selection button does not work (pushing it lights up all the other buttons, and then all lights go off and the selection remains on water dispensing) and the refrigerator temperature can only be adjusted down, not up (resulting in now-freezing temperatures in my refrigerator due to too many people experimenting with said buttons sure that they could make it work) :wall: (Note that the ice maker works properly, only the control panel / dispenser is the issue.)

I have gone into the program mode (lockout + freezer temp down) and confirmed that the code is correct for my frig. - beyond that I'm not sure what to do with the program mode.

Any ideas as to what the problem would be, and more importantly what the solution would be?

Would be super appreciative of any solutions!!

jekyl

Premium Member
Can anyone advise as to what would be the proper place to start in replacing parts? Control board? If so, part number?

Thanks!!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sorry, we must of missed your thread post back in April.

It sounds like your control panel keypad overlay has a short in the ice dispenser selection button, that would cause this issue your having.

Here's the control panel keypad overlay for your model you can order:
Whirlpool W10315983 Overlay

Removing the faceplate: Remove the drip pan and there are two screws holding the face plate. Remove those screws and that will remove the faceplate, then you will gain access to the control panel keypad overlay, that has three connectors attached. Unplugging the connectors and removing the control panel keypad overlay is quite simple.

Keep us posted.

Jake

jekyl

Premium Member
Thanks, Jake!!! Ordered the part you recommended and it came in this morning. Installed it easily and it corrected the problem! Definitely looking forward to being able to keep produce in my refrigerator once more!

Great detective work - I suppose your years of experience have taught you much. When we pulled the old control panel keypad overlay off and looked at the circuitry behind it, we noticed a broken circuitry connection behind the ice button - just thought you would enjoy the confirmation of your theory.

So very happy to have a working refrigerator and thankful for all of the effort you put into sharing your knowledge with us. Many thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, good job, glad to hear that.:)

Jake