• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED GI5FVAXVQ01 Whirlpool Gold - Control Panel Blank and not cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaswany

Premium Member
Model Number
GI5FVAXV
Brand
Whirlpool
I have a Whirlpool Gold French door refrigerator that stopped working last Friday. The control panel is black, and the cooling/freezing stopped working. If you press a key on the control panel the display show '888'. The light in the fridge works. I had a repair guy out on Saturday and replaced a new PTC relay thinking that was the problem, but after plugging in it still didn't work. He said that I needed to order a new control board (front of fridge). So I got ahold of Part# W10162500, along with a new keypad. I installed that tonight, and it has the same problem. Displays '888' when I press any keys on the board. Other than having another repair guy out to look at it, I am not sure what to try next. Any help would be appreciated greatly.

Thanks,
Josh

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If you want to verify that to make sure: Check the wires and wire connectors under the top hinge cover. Check if any pins are backing out of the connector. On the main control board measure the voltage at J6-1 and J6-2. If less than +12 VDC replace the main control board.

Jake

Nick185

Premium Member
Was this resolved?

Josh,
Just curious, but did you ever get this figured out? I have the same exact problem, wasn't sure if you figured it out. Been looking around and this is the first thread that matches my issue.

Thanks,
Nick

jaswany

Premium Member
Update

Sorry, I have been meaning to update and thank Jake, but haven't gotten around to it. Yes, replacing the control board on the back of the fridge worked! Thanks Jake! The part Jake linked was the exact part I needed.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to hear it fixed yours Josh.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

snowdawg

Premium Member
Jake - I hope you are still out there. I have the exact same problem on the same model refrigerator as Josh. But isn't the main control board the same as the High Voltage control board?

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes snowdawg, the main control board is also called the HV board.:)

What is your exact model number of yours snowdawg? I can likely look up the programming guide online per your exact model number. The model number tag is located in the refrigerator section on the side walls or ceiling.

Jake

snowdawg

Premium Member
Thanks Jake! I appreciate the clarification. The voltage on J6-1 to J6-2 was 13+ so I ordered the circuit board. The model of my fridge is GI5FSAXVY02.

David

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks David,

Here's the tech. data sheet for your model: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzvgAyLTSh14bG9fdFFYQS1MYTQ

Look where it says: Service Specifications
Programming Mode:

NOTE: The Program Code is located on the Serial Plate on this unit after the word Code.

Follow the steps it says to do.:)

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

snowdawg

Premium Member
Jake,
I just replaced the circuit board, programmed the fridge, and things are working again. Thank you so much for all of you assistance!
David

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent David, glad to hear that. (y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.