FIXED GI5FVAXVQ01 Whirlpool Gold - Control Panel Blank and not cooling

jaswany

Premium Member
Model Number
GI5FVAXV
Brand
Whirlpool
I have a Whirlpool Gold French door refrigerator that stopped working last Friday. The control panel is black, and the cooling/freezing stopped working. If you press a key on the control panel the display show '888'. The light in the fridge works. I had a repair guy out on Saturday and replaced a new PTC relay thinking that was the problem, but after plugging in it still didn't work. He said that I needed to order a new control board (front of fridge). So I got ahold of Part# W10162500, along with a new keypad. I installed that tonight, and it has the same problem. Displays '888' when I press any keys on the board. Other than having another repair guy out to look at it, I am not sure what to try next. Any help would be appreciated greatly.

Thanks,
Josh

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If you want to verify that to make sure: Check the wires and wire connectors under the top hinge cover. Check if any pins are backing out of the connector. On the main control board measure the voltage at J6-1 and J6-2. If less than +12 VDC replace the main control board.

Jake

Nick185

Premium Member
Was this resolved?

Josh,
Just curious, but did you ever get this figured out? I have the same exact problem, wasn't sure if you figured it out. Been looking around and this is the first thread that matches my issue.

Thanks,
Nick

jaswany

Premium Member
Update

Sorry, I have been meaning to update and thank Jake, but haven't gotten around to it. Yes, replacing the control board on the back of the fridge worked! The only problem now is that my ice/water dispenser don't. It's getting water because it makes ice, but when I put in the release it doesn't lite up anymore. Maybe I programmed it wrong? I am not complaining thou because at least the fridge works! Thanks Jake! The part Jake linked was the exact part I needed.

Nick185

Premium Member
Gotcha. I do have a tech coming out tomorrow since I have another issue with another appliance (when it rains, it pours) but at least I have a better idea of what the problem will be so he can't take me for a ride. Thanks for getting back to me, I appreciate it!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to hear it fixed yours Josh.:)

The only problem now is that my ice/water dispenser don't. It's getting water because it makes ice, but when I put in the release it doesn't lite up anymore. Maybe I programmed it wrong?
Yes, did you unplug your refrigerator first before replacing it?

Unplug your refrigerator for about 10 minutes, then plug it back in and see if it all works fine, if not reprogram it again.

Jake

horsecats

Premium Member
To verify on Whilrpool WPW

Jake,

I saw that you had a method <below bottom> to verify main control board failure on a WPW10310240 board coming out of a Whirlpool GI5FVAXVQ01 refrigerator-freezer. Ours just quit working this afternoon out of the blue with no prior symptoms what-so-ever. The refrigerator-freezer has kept perfect temperature in both compartments. Those symptoms are as others have reported. The compressor does not run, so there is no cooling, the front panel display is dark until you touch a button and then it briefly flashes "888" on the temp display. If you push the paddle for ice you get a long tone as long as you hold it down and of course no ice. The interior lights do work when the door is opened.

The only weekend repair person we could get a hold of today, didn't have a board for it. So I think we're going to attempt it ourselves. I've assembled enough electronics and done some limited board-level repairs (electrolytic capacitors) that I believe I can handle this.

Tried unplugging it for 15 minutes and re-plugging it - no effect. Tried unplugging and re-plugging all the plugs on the boards as well as inspecting them for loose/backed out pins - no effect. I visually inspected the board with a magnifying glass and found no signs of leakage or distortion on any of the electrolytic capacitors. No signs of blown up transistors or other electronic part failures. No arc burns. etc. Apparently no cold solder joints.

You said one could test for 12VDC voltage at J6-1 and J6-2. Does that mean test at both places independently for 12V at each pin? Where do you ground the negative probe?

If the compressor was bad, wouldn't the ice maker/water dispenser and everything else still attempt to work/dispense and the front display would still work, right?

We can't get a new board until Tuesday it looks like and maybe Wednesday. Luckily, its cold so we can keep almost everything outside but it's due to warm up by mid week. Hopefully, we'll get this resolved by then.

Let me know if there's anything else you can suggest to help confirm because that control board is a couple of hundred bucks.

Steve C

505-286-9182

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Steve,

Measure the voltage between J6-1 and J6-2 on the main control board. You're looking for +12 VDC. Then measure the voltage between J1-1 and J1-3 on the dispenser board for the same +12 VDC. Touch the black meter test lead to the GR/BK wire for both measurements.

That main control board uses pulsed DC voltage and some less expensive meters won't be able to measure it. If the DC voltage is the same for both measurements, replace the main board. If not, check the wires between the two boards.

Let us know what your DC volts read.

Jake

horsecats

Premium Member
Voltage readings -

It appeared to me that the J6-1 on the HV board was the gr/blk wire (on ours anyway) - it's a black wire with a green stripe. So between J6-1 and J6-2 the voltage on both my meters read 13.04V, J6-3, J6-4 and J6-5 were zero and J6-6 was 12.14V

On the dispenser board it was the same, the J1-1 was the gr/blk wire and the voltage there on J1-3 was 13.04V... J1-2 was 12.14V and J1-4 was zero.

It's kinda like a computer motherboard with the little triangle printed on the circuit board for correct plug/pin orientation.

Anyway, when I first took the cover off the front last night there was some strange behavior. The lights flashed intermittently when I moved the wire bundles while I pulled the bezel/display assembly out from the front of the door. Actually once I heard the compressor try to kick on but then I heard the relay click and it stopped... then some of the lights came on, but now it's doing nothing - no sound, the light for the dispenser is on, the interior lights come on.. no relay sounds and of course non-functional.

I can get a HV control board here by Wednesday (if I order it by tomorrow morning), but I haven't committed because I don't want to buy a very expensive part needlessly.

I do see the design around the water dispenser is haphazard at best. There were signs that moister had gotten past the guard (there is no positive seal there) so it could have had condensation, but no signs of arcing or blown components that I could see with a magnifying glass.

Anyway, there's all the voltages that I could read from those two connectors.

Please let me know what you think.

Thank You Very Much.

Steve C

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Steve,

I can get a HV control board here by Wednesday (if I order it by tomorrow morning), but I haven't committed because I don't want to buy a very expensive part needlessly.
You don't have to worry about that, your voltage is fine, so the main control board will definity fix it.:)

Jake

horsecats

Premium Member
One more wrinkle..... of course with all the food out of it we decided to clean it.. not that it was that bad, but why not since it was empty and not working. We got most of that done and I re-ran the tests about 4 times... Then later in the afternoon it was still plugged in and the relay(s) clicked occasionally.

Then after one intermittent round of that, the fan came on and about a minute later the compressor came on. Then off and on.. cycled through that behavior for about 15-20 minutes, then it came on and stayed on... actually started cooling... the display displayed properly and worked... the water dispenser worked.... My mom wasn't quite done cleaning everything so I unplugged it. I figured it wouldn't last anyway. About 4:30 yesterday afternoon I plugged it in and its been running flawlessly ever since.

It filled up the ice bin last night and appears to be fully working (fingers crossed).... cold in the fridge and we're putting the frozen stuff back in the freezer. We're being careful to gently open and close the doors because we don't want to upset the refrigerator gods.....

So what do you think now? It must be one of those relays that decided to work again, right? So pending what you reply, I will still order(?) the board and then wait for it to quit again, or...??? Let me know.

Thank You for Your Patience and Best Regards,

SteveC

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
So what do you think now? It must be one of those relays that decided to work again, right?
Yes Steve, but unfortunately it will act up again, trust me.:)

So its best to order and replace the board and be done with it.:)

Jake

horsecats

Premium Member
Still working but I am ordering the board now....

Jake,

I believe you. I just hope it keeps working until the new board shows up. I just wanted to make sure with its new "behavior" that it wasn't some other thing.

I thank You for Your patience and help.

I don't know where you're located, but if I could send you some business I would.

Best Regards,

Steve Conner

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes Steve, the new board will fix it all.:)

Jake

horsecats

Premium Member
Jake,

The bad board finally quit today, so I pulled out the fridge, tested the voltage again (still was reading 13.05 on J6-2 and 12.14V on J6-6, and then unplugged the power cord...I left it sit for a few minutes and then I unplugged and dismounted the old board. I mounted the new board and then carefully plugged everything back in. Then I plugged the power cord back in. The compressor came right on, but when I looked at the front display it was flashing on the twin temp displays (freezer/refrigerator) above the water/ice dispenser. on teh freezer side of the display it says "PE0". On the fridge side it says "000". So it flashes and displays "PE0"/"000"... None of the other buttons are lit or appear to function. It appears to be cooling in the fridge (the fan air is cold), but I am unsure if the freezer is freezing. I haven't heard it drop ice yet either.

Now, if I push the "up" arrow on the fridge side of the temp display it says "PE " and "H20" for about 5 seconds then goes back to blinking the original message. If I push the "down" arrow it displays "PE "/"ICE" and after 5 sec goes back to first flashing message. One other item is that whichever way I have pushed the up or the down arrows, the dispenser will dispense water or ice accordingly. Is this some kind of programming issue that I need to attend to? I do not have a service manual, but I did see someone else mention programming. Can you help with this?

Again this is a Whirlpool Gold GI5FVAXVQ01 with a W10310240 / WPW10310240 replacement control board.

Thank You!

SteveC

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Where did you buy the board at Steve? It should of come WITH a program instruction sheet, that you MUST do for it to work properly after you install it.:)

Jake

snowdawg

Premium Member
Jake - I hope you are still out there. I have the exact same problem on the same model refrigerator as Steve and Josh. But I am a bit confused. In posting #3 you state
On the main control board measure the voltage at J6-1 and J6-2. If less than +12 VDC replace the main control board.
. But in posting #11, you stated
You don't have to worry about that, your voltage is fine, so the main control board will definity fix it.
. This was in response to Steve stating his voltages were above 12 volts.

I've read this thread several times and I think you are saying that a) if voltages are +12VDC, then replace the main control board and b) don't replace the HV control board. But isn't the main control board the same as the High Voltage control board?

Also, Steve - If you are out there, did you get your board properly programmed?

Last edited:

snowdawg

Premium Member
Jake,

The bad board finally quit today, so I pulled out the fridge, tested the voltage again (still was reading 13.05 on J6-2 and 12.14V on J6-6, and then unplugged the power cord...I left it sit for a few minutes and then I unplugged and dismounted the old board. I mounted the new board and then carefully plugged everything back in. Then I plugged the power cord back in. The compressor came right on, but when I looked at the front display it was flashing on the twin temp displays (freezer/refrigerator) above the water/ice dispenser. on teh freezer side of the display it says "PE0". On the fridge side it says "000". So it flashes and displays "PE0"/"000"... None of the other buttons are lit or appear to function. It appears to be cooling in the fridge (the fan air is cold), but I am unsure if the freezer is freezing. I haven't heard it drop ice yet either.

Now, if I push the "up" arrow on the fridge side of the temp display it says "PE " and "H20" for about 5 seconds then goes back to blinking the original message. If I push the "down" arrow it displays "PE "/"ICE" and after 5 sec goes back to first flashing message. One other item is that whichever way I have pushed the up or the down arrows, the dispenser will dispense water or ice accordingly. Is this some kind of programming issue that I need to attend to? I do not have a service manual, but I did see someone else mention programming. Can you help with this?

Again this is a Whirlpool Gold GI5FVAXVQ01 with a W10310240 / WPW10310240 replacement control board.

Thank You!

SteveC
Steve - Did you figure out how to program your circuit board?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes snowdawg, the main control board is also called the HV board.:)

Yes, +12VDC is good voltage, so the problem is the main control board is malfunctioning in its software on the board, not voltage wise.:)

What is your exact model number of yours snowdawg? I can likely look up the programming guide online per your exact model number. The model number tag is located in the refrigerator section on the side walls or ceiling.

Jake