GI6FARXXF05 How does this evaporator look?

jack8237

Premium Member
Model
GI6FARXXF05
Brand
Whirlpool
Hi All.

So far I have
  • Cleaned the coils underneath
  • checked the temp of compressor - 125 degrees
  • checked the defrost coil

Fridge will not get below 45 degrees, despite adjusting temperature and waiting.

What do you think about the frost on these coils?20190513_181811.jpg

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
jack8237; said:
What do you think about the frost on these coils?
Not good... assuming it was being run totally assembled and with the evaprator cover ON.

That looks like a sign or a refrigeration system problem (i.e. compressor failure, lack or refrigeration or an internal refrigeration system restriction). That would require a licensed refrigeration technician to fully diagnose and correct.

JMO

Dan so.

jack8237

Premium Member
I have a themometer (type thats used to measure temp on automotive vents) in a glass of water which has been in the fridge for a few days now. Its measuring 43 degrees consistantly.

I called out the repairman and he didn't see anything wrong with the frost pattern on evaporator. He said that it may be the compressor and the filter dryer wasn't warm?

Does this sound correct?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Repairman?

been in the fridge for a few days now. Its measuring 43 degrees consistantly.
The refrigerator compartment temperature should be 34-38 deg. F.

He said that it may be the compressor and the filter dryer wasn't warm?
That doesn't make any sense. The compressor will get warm from use (it's a motor!) and the filter dryer would only get warm from contact with the condenser tubing. The condenser will get warm when the refrigerator is operating properly and a bit of that warmth will conduct to the filter drier.

The frosting of the evaporator should be uniform across its whole surface when the refrigeration system is operating properly. Has that changed because the picture you displayed didn't look that way to me?

Was the appliance being used in a below or near freezing condition? That could affect its ability to cool properly.

Was the repairman you had out do factory authorized service for any brand? I would have suggested you call a Whirlpool factory authorized service depot.

Dan O.

jack8237

Premium Member
The refrigerator compartment temperature should be 34-38 deg. F.
Thanks for the reply. Where are you taking your reading from? I have an old school thermometer in a glass of water. I also checked different areas of the fridge with an infrared gun. It's, of course, coldest at the back wall (40ish) and warmest (50 degrees) at the door comparments.

That doesn't make any sense. The compressor will get warm from use (it's a motor!) and the filter dryer would only get warm from contact with the condenser tubing. The condenser will get warm when the refrigerator is operating properly and a bit of that warmth will conduct to the filter drier.

The frosting of the evaporator should be uniform across its whole surface when the refrigeration system is operating properly. Has that changed because the picture you displayed didn't look that way to me?

Was the appliance being used in a below or near freezing condition? That could affect its ability to cool properly.

Was the repairman you had out do factory authorized service for any brand? I would have suggested you call a Whirlpool factory authorized service depot.

Dan O.
Fridge in normal temps 75 degrees indoors.

Picture was taken about 24 hours after i removed a ton of pet hair from the front of the fridge condenser coils and tilted a foot or so to remove hair from the rest of the coils. Maybe the frosting occurred on the sides as a result of the condenser coils being clogged up and hadn't defrosted properly by the time the photo was taken? I have no clue - Just a guess.

Yes, I think I screwed up by hiring the company that I choose. The owner has 4 technicians. Although his websites about us page says that he has over 20 years experience and trained and certified in all major brands, it sounds like his technicians have not as they have been trained by him.

The tech unplugged the fridge and listened to it "drain down". He said it happened quickly which is an indication that the compressor valves are not closing?? Not sure about that one. Ever hear of such a thing? I tried it myself after he left but only heard a little trickle.

He also mentioned that the compressor amperage was slightly low (If im not mistaken he said its just under 1 amp, which sounded very low to me)

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Where are you taking your reading from? I have an old school thermometer in a glass of water.
Those temps are suppose to be food temperatures. It should be 34-38 deg. F. for best food longevity.

That is exactly how we measure likely food temperature, place a jar of water on a middle shelf and then test the water temperature.

Maybe the frosting occurred on the sides as a result of the condenser coils being clogged up and hadn't defrosted properly by the time the photo was taken?
A plugged condenser will affect cooling and thus frosting. It would be nice to see a picture of the evaporator after being properly defrosted (it must have been fully defrosted by now, having gone though several defrost cycles).

The tech unplugged the fridge and listened to it "drain down". He said it happened quickly which is an indication that the compressor valves are not closing?? Not sure about that one. Ever hear of such a thing?
No I haven't. It certainly isn't in any manual I've ever seen.

He also mentioned that the compressor amperage was slightly low (If im not mistaken he said its just under 1 amp
It is a bit low, the specs say 1.6 running amps. That could be due to inefficient pumping because of bad valves in the compressor.

jack8237

Premium Member
Thanks for all the information. I took it apart today (this time while running) and here's what I saw. This was 4-5 days after removing crud from underneath. I noticed that it was dripping some water and the center didnt seem frozen. Not sure if this has anything to do with the fact that I had the door open for 5-10 mins while I took it apart.

How does it look to you now? Thanks.

20190517_154805.jpg20190517_154819.jpg20190517_154828.jpg20190517_154832.jpg

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Refrigeration system problem

That's the same condition as before so my previous reply stands.

Dan O. said:
That looks like a sign [of] a refrigeration system problem (i.e. compressor failure, lack [of] refrigeration or an internal refrigeration system restriction).
I don't know why the technician didn't see anything wrong with the frost pattern when he was there. It is a reliable sign of a refrigeration system problem however he did come to the same conclusion.

If the compressor is the cause, unless it was covered by the appliance's warranty (which could be up to 5-years) it is probably not economical to be repaired.

BTW. Allowing it to run while the condenser is plugged will cause the compressor to work harder than normal and likely overheat, which can easily lead to compressor damage. The condenser needs to be cleaned regularly, several times a year at least. More if you have pets.

Dan O.

jack8237

Premium Member
That's the same condition as before so my previous reply stands.

I don't know why the technician didn't see anything wrong with the frost pattern when he was there. It is a reliable sign of a refrigeration system problem however he did come to the same conclusion.

If the compressor is the cause, unless it was covered by the appliance's warranty (which could be up to 5-years) it is probably not economical to be repaired.

BTW. Allowing it to run while the condenser is plugged will cause the compressor to work harder than normal and likely overheat, which can easily lead to compressor damage. The condenser needs to be cleaned regularly, several times a year at least. More if you have pets.

Dan O.
Thanks, Dan.

The Fridge is 7 or so years old, so it looks like its time to replace.

I had no idea how plugged up the coils were and what you are saying makes perfect sense. I'll be inspecting and cleaning the coils on my new fridge on the regular, now that I'm aware of where the coils are located and how important it is to keep them maintained.

I'm considering making it into a beer fridge for the garage. Any idea how much life it may have left?

In the end, is this fridge worth anything to anyone besides being scrap metal?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Beer fridge

I'm considering making it into a beer fridge for the garage. Any idea how much life it may have left?
It may continue to operate like that for a long time just be aware, its cooling ability is severely decreased. It probably won't do much quick cooling but may cool the contents adequately over a longer period.

You could also check with local utilities. There might be a 'trade-in' incentive available for upgrading a 'working' older refrigerator for a new one. (They don't need to know its working poorly.) It may not be old enough to qualify for such programs though but if it is it might be worth $50 toward the purchase of a new replacement.

Dan o.

jack8237

Premium Member
It may continue to operate like that for a long time just be aware, its cooling ability is severely decreased. It probably won't do much quick cooling but may cool the contents adequately over a longer period.

You could also check with local utilities. There might be a 'trade-in' incentive available for upgrading a 'working' older refrigerator for a new one. (They don't need to know its working poorly.) It may not be old enough to qualify for such programs though but if it is it might be worth $50 toward the purchase of a new replacement.

Dan o.
Thanks, Dan.

I actually purchased the same model because I really liked the fridge. It was my fault that I allowed pet hair to accumulate which I'm certain is the reason why it had an issue.

I took the evaporator cover off the new fridge just for comparison and posted the pictures below - perhaps it can help the next person identify what it should look like.

Thanks again Dan. 20190522_193347.jpg20190522_193337.jpg20190522_193355.jpg

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
jack8237 said:
I took the evaporator cover off the new fridge just for comparison and posted the pictures below - perhaps it can help the next person identify what it should look like.
That looks much better! Thanks for taking the trouble of posting the pics.

Dan O.