• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GI6FARXXY04 Whirlpool Gold Refrigerator not making ice

Donato

Premium Member
Model Number
GI6FARXXY04
Brand
Whirlpool
I have a french door whirlpool gold that i can't seem to get to make ice. When i go into diagnostic mode 25 and force the harvest, the water flows in and the ice is kicked out after freezing but then that's it. It doesn't make any more ice after i exit the diagnostic mode. I ensured the ice maker is not off but any ideas on what it could be?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

The problem is the ice maker itself.

Here's the ice maker kit for your model you can order:
W10882923 Icemaker

The new one is a upgraded ice maker kit, you must install the new wiring harness that comes with it, I've replaced about 5 of these same ice maker kits in my area in the last couple years and all worked perfect!

This video shows you how:

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Your welcome. Let us know how it goes.

Jake

Donato

Premium Member
I installed the new ice maker last night but it still does the same thing. Fills immediately, makes one load of ice, drops it in to the storage bucket, and then that's it. Any idea what else it could be?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Give it 24 hours for it to make ice constantly.

If it still does not, put a freezer thermometer in the ice maker compartment and leave it there for a couple hours and tell us what it reads.

Jake

Donato

Premium Member
it's reading really close to zero. Here's the weird thing, on Friday night I was just checking it for power again and I left it overnight with the ice tray out and the sensor wire unplugged from the front. Saturday morning the ice compartment was full of ice. I removed the ice put in the ice tray and the sensor wire and then no ice the entire day. last night same thing, I took out the tray and the sensor wire and the ice compartment was full of ice again in the morning. Put the ice tray back in the morning and no ice other than the one harvest. Seems really weird that the ice tray would have anything to do with it making ice or not. Ever seen something like that before?

John

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Nope John, never seen that before.

I really don't know what's going on, check all your wire connections to make sure they are all tight.

Jake

Donato

Premium Member
yeah it's the weirdest thing. It only makes ice with the ice tray out. Put the ice tray in and everything stops. Has to be something little. I'll keep looking

Attachments

• IMG_5806.jpg
    IMG_5806.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 46

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Never seen that happen before, you will need Whirlpool to come out and call the WHIRLPOOL TECH FACTORY HOTLINE from your house, and they will instruct the tech. what to do to fix it.

Let us know.

Jake

Donato

Premium Member
Turns out i was wrong. i got a new thermometer and the freezer is right around 10 degrees. Coils on bottom are not very dirty but should i just turn down the settings? They are set at 0 degrees

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
10 degrees? Its still not getting to 0 degrees.

Have Whirlpool come out.

Jake