GI6FARXXY08 Crushed ice ,no cube

tkeer

Premium Member
Model Number
GI6FARXXY08
Brand
Whirlpool
My ice maker is stuck making crushed ice. In trying to run the icemaker on cubed, with the bucket removed, I see no movement of the solenoid. From reading this site, this leads me to believe the solenoid is bad. However, I have no interest in crushed ice, so in lieu of replacing the solenoid, is it safe/possible to simply lock the lever in the cubed position, or do the blades provide some type of extra insulation?

Thank you,

I couldn't find an answer to this question any where.

Last edited by a moderator:

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

GI6FARXXY
You are missing some digits.
http://www.applianceaid.com/model-number.php Some model# helps.
I found 8 models starting with those digits.

I see no movement of the solenoid. From reading this site, this leads me to believe the solenoid is bad
It could be bad, not getting power, frozen, jammed ( bin also ).

s it safe/possible to simply lock the lever in the cubed position
The solenoid moves the cutting teeth out of the way so whole cubes come out. Probably safe to jury rig something...possible is not something we would even know as is not something I have seen someone do before.

jeff.

tkeer

Premium Member
Thanks for the reply

Oops - full model number is GI6FARXXY08. We had issues with it only crushing the ice first, then it failed to make ice entirely, so we just replaced the ice maker assembly, and I double checked all the wiring to the solenoid. That should've thawed it out, but I didn't fully understand how it worked at the time, so I didn't test the operation while it was out.

I'll first attempt to wiggle it around to hopefully unjam the solenoid, and if no luck there, I'll see if I can get the lever to lock so if lifts the cutting teeth away. I suppose worst case that leads to some melting. I'll report back if I have any success, and if not, I'm thinking new solenoid.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Please do keep us posted.

If needed:

Dispenser-Solenoid-WPW10309866-01737864.jpg Cubed / Crushed Ice Solenoid

[video=youtube_share;QfjWPO2j1PE]https://youtu.be/QfjWPO2j1PE[/video]

jeff.