• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED GI6FDRXXY02 Evaporator fan will not run

Hieysk

Premium Member
Model Number
GI6FDRXXY02
Brand
Whirlpool
Issue: Ice buildup on the back panel of the freezer. Noticed that evap fan doesn't run (ever).

What I have done:
1. Replaced Electronic Control Board with new unit.

* with Evap Harness unplugged, I get 14 volts on the two pins for the fan (WH and RD wires). However, with the harness plugged in, I then get junk voltage of ~1.7 volts.
* Defrost cycle works properly it seems and is keeping frost at bay since the new ECB was installed.
* I tested the Termistor on the Evap Fan Harness and it tests positive for continuity.
* Temp of unit is good (1 Degree in Freezer and 35 in fridge)
* Icemaker is making ice

So everything seems to be working fine EXCEPT for the dang evap fan.

Thanks in Advance

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Unit must not be in Lockout

Press SW1 and SW2 simultaneously for 3 seconds.

Release both buttons when you hear the CHIME indicator.

The display will show 01 to indicate the control is in Test 1 of the diagnostics routine.

Each test must be manually advanced. Press SW5 to move to the next test in the sequence. Press SW4 to back up in the sequence to the previous test.

Each test is displayed in the two digits of the dispenser user interface display.

The test results are displayed in the two digits on dispenser user interface display 2 seconds after the test number is displayed.

An amber order filter light will be shown to designate that the test number is being displayed

A red replace filter light will be shown to designate that the status of the test is being displayed.

Run:
Service Test - 3 Evaporator fan motor and air baffle motor
The control turns on the evaporator fan motor and opens air baffle. Verify air flow from the evaporator fan. Check to see if the baffle opens. The status indicator will be blank.

To exit Service Diagnostics: Press SW1 and SW2 simultaneously for 3 seconds, disconnect the product from power or wait 20 minutes. Following the exit of the diagnostic mode, the controls will then resume normal operation.

Hieysk

Premium Member
I ran Service Test - 3 (red replace filter light was shown)

Evap fan did not run.
I can hear the Baffle open during the test.

** Note ** I have tested fan on bench power supply with 12vdc and it operates fine.

Last edited:

rickgburton

Staff member

Hieysk

Premium Member
UPDATE:
When I started to remove the control board, I noticed that the inline resistor on the purple wire (coming from P7 connector) was bad. It was burnt and the connection was compromised. I replaced the bad resistor with a new one (10 Ohm 5 watt) and Evap Fan is now working!!!!!

I appreciate all of the help.

rickgburton

Staff member
Awesome! That's the second time in as many months we have seen that happen. That resistor is a new thing for Whirlpool.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, Rick is right, your the 2nd or 3rd person to mention that purple wire with that resistor burnt, look here:

Jake

Firmol

I had the same problem.
I think it is a manufacturing problem.
Thanks to this forum you can check this problem before changing the control board.
IMG_20200329_173545.jpg

I couldn't see the resistor color code, to be sure.
But 10 Ohm 5 watt seems to work fine.

I really appreciate your help.
Thank you
Firmo