• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED GI6SDRXXB03 2011 Whirlpool French Door fridge not freezing up, evap fan not running after replacing

kw012

Premium Member
Model Number
GI6SDRXXB03
Brand
Whirlpool
Complaint was that the fridge and freezer were not staying cold. I pulled the freezer interior back panel and found the upper half of the evaporator coils including the evaporator fan assy encased in solid ice. The bottom coils were clear. Compressor and condenser fan running well. Drain tube is open. The evap fan motor assy came apart in my hands so I replaced it. Nothing.

I am able to detect current in the fan's red and white supply wires with my sensor but do not know the amount of current; I just get tone. So I replaced the control board and still, no fan blowing. Everything else seems to be functional. I am fairly handy but I do not have a guide to troubleshoot.

I have read some threads here and this board has some talented advisors. Is there a resistor inline in some wiring that I need to consider? My estimated date of manufacturer is 2011.
Thank you in advance for suggestions. Keith

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi, I'm attaching your tech data sheet below.

Here's the freezer evaporator fan motor for your model:

At the Power Supply board Connector P2 Pin 3(Red/Black wire) to the Main Control Board Connector P7 Pin 9(Violet/White wire) you should be getting 12 Volts DC to make the freezer evaporator fan motor fan run.

Yes, I located a thread from 2020 that several others mentioned that resistor too:
Yes, check that resistor first.:)

Here's the Power Supply Board for your model:
Power Supply Board WPW10226427

Here's the Main Control Board for your model:
Electronic Control Board WPW10285199

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Attachments

• Tech Sheet - W10341192 - Rev B.pdf
    214.3 KB · Views: 45

kw012

Premium Member
Thanks, Jake. I just now got home from being out working on my fridge. You know what I have done so far; replaced the control board with a known good used, guaranteed board and new evap fan. Still no run. Next I pulled that control board and looked at the wiring and my resistor had gotten hot and discolored the wiring and itself. A new resistor spliced into the wiring and we are back running. The service test I did revealed/confirmed the failure of the evap fan. All other systems tested ok. The resistor is a 10 ohm 1/4w 5% spec. I used a 1/2w model which is fine. Thank you for the follow up. I hope lots of people learn about the resistor failure potential. Not much is written on it. And the appliance parts store does not list or sell that resistor.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I remembered about that resistor, but it took me awhile to locate that thread from the other members about it too.

Glad that fixed it.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.