• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GI6SDRXXY03 Whirlpool French door refrigerator, ice and water not dispensing

Cchrestensen12

Premium Member
Model Number
GI6SDRXXY03
Brand
Whirlpool
As title suggests, ice and water not dispensing. Dispenser light comes on. Tested paddles, solenoids and water pressure. Diagnostic mode shows 1 when water dispenser paddle Is depressed. If I plug the fridge in and quickly hit the paddle to dispense water it comes on and dispenses then won’t turn off. I have to unplug or turn off rather to get the water to stop dispensing. Lights do turn off and on with door switches. Relay click seems loud when opening and closing Rc doors. I just replaced the 10 ohm resistors for the fc evaporator fan. It has good voltage and isn’t working properly now. I am looking for the wiring diagram for starters. I bought this fridge used and the tech paper isn’t with it. Also, some of the diagnostic tests do not show a result. Test one and two light up the red indicator but do not register a result. Thanks

Cchrestensen12

Premium Member
As title suggests, ice and water not dispensing. Dispenser light comes on. Tested paddles, solenoids and water pressure. Diagnostic mode shows 1 when water dispenser paddle Is depressed. If I plug the fridge in and quickly hit the paddle to dispense water it comes on and dispenses then won’t turn off. I have to unplug or turn off rather to get the water to stop dispensing. Lights do turn off and on with door switches. Relay click seems loud when opening and closing Rc doors. I just replaced the 10 ohm resistors for the fc evaporator fan. It has good voltage and isn’t working properly now. I am looking for the wiring diagram for starters. I bought this fridge used and the tech paper isn’t with it. Also, some of the diagnostic tests do not show a result. Test one and two light up the red indicator but do not register a result. Thanks
Going to test door switches. I didn’t realize they were three way switches.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I'm attaching your tech. data sheet below.

DO--->Service Test - 8 All UI indicators
DO--->Service Test - 9 UI Button and Pad Test
DO--->Service Test - 25 Water dispensing and ice maker fill test

Here's the front UI dispenser board for your model, if needed:

Here's the ice and water pads for your model, if needed:
whirlpool-pad-assy-water-wpw10368730-ap6020508_02_l.jpg

Here's the main control board for your model, if needed:
whirlpool-cntl-elek-gf-wpw10285199-ap6018713_01_l.jpg

Jake

Attachments

• Tech Sheet - W10341192 - Rev B.pdf
    214.3 KB · Views: 58

Cchrestensen12

Premium Member
I'm attaching your tech. data sheet below.

DO--->Service Test - 8 All UI indicators
DO--->Service Test - 9 UI Button and Pad Test
DO--->Service Test - 25 Water dispensing and ice maker fill test

Here's the front UI dispenser board for your model, if needed:

Here's the ice and water pads for your model, if needed:
whirlpool-pad-assy-water-wpw10368730-ap6020508_02_l.jpg

Here's the main control board for your model, if needed:
whirlpool-cntl-elek-gf-wpw10285199-ap6018713_01_l.jpg

Jake
Test 8- pass
Test 9- pass
Test 25- when water dispenser pad is pressed ui indicates input, display shows 1, no solenoid engagement, no water
I didn’t jump the thermostat to simulate ice maker full, however ice maker is working. Tray is full of ice, but auger won’t run.
I’m noticing now, after replacing 10 ohm resistor for fc evaporator fan, freezer floats between 0-10 deg f. It’s set for -5. I’m thinking about replacing the fan as the new resistor is getting quite hot. I put a resistor rated for 2w in to hopefully keep it from melting for the time being. Now that I have the tech sheet I see that the fan is 5.5 watts. It looked like the original resistor was a .5 watt. The one I put in is larger. Going to have to check that the fan is all the way on the shaft and everything is good airflow wise to confirm temperature issues. Do the main control boards usually have issues when that resistor burns up?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Here's the evaporator fan motor for your model:
Evaporator Fan Motor WPW10276647

Yes, that is a 10 ohm resistor. I've never seen one burn up, but it's likely due to your evaporator fan motor being bad, because that's the circuit its in.:)

Here's our main thread about that 10 ohm resistor:

I didn't see a TEST that activates the auger motor in the tech. data sheet. But its most likely the ice and water pads that you will need, because of what you said about the water continually flowing even when the water dispenser pad was not pressed in.

Jake

Cchrestensen12

Premium Member
Test I was referring to was fill and harvest but that function is working properly. No auger test unfortunately. I tested continuity on the two pads and they worked consistently. The only time it turns on at all (then won’t turn off) is when I first plug the fridge in then hit the water dispenser pad immediately. There is a relay that clicks in after a few seconds, I can hear it. After this relay clicks in I can no longer get anything to dispense. That just gave me an idea, need to try the ice when I first plug it in. Does the door interlock effect both? Wondering if what I’m hearing click is the relay for the interlock. I’m out of town for work next few days. When I get back I will look through the wiring diagrams and test for output from the board. how Is the ya communicating with the main board? Frequency?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Connector P13 Pin 2(PINK WIRE) at the main control board is the AUGER MOTOR. Test for 120 volts there to the WHITE(NEUTRAL WIRE) when someone presses the ice dispenser paddle.

How is the ui communicating with the main control board?
It does not say on the tech. data sheet.

Jake

Cchrestensen12

Premium Member
Jake, a new clue today. I have been suspicious of the door circuit all along and today when I opened the freezer door the red light came on the ui. This hasn’t happened before. I closed it and opened both rc doors and the light came on again.

When I closed the doors the light went off and the ice maker dispensed ice. Shortly after it stopped and now the red light doesn’t come on for rc doors or fc door. The relay clicks when you open each door and compartment lights do come on. I have tested the switches and they seem ok, continuity/open circuit. Any idea what could be the cause here?

It’s suspect to me that the lights come on every time but I don’t get the red light on ui and the dispensers stay interlocked. I’m sort of suspecting the ui, haven’t had time to troubleshoot through the wiring but that’s next. Have you seen this before?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Cchrestensen12

Premium Member
@Jake the ui board controls processing correct? Temperature control, defrost timers etc? Main control board just a relay board and a receiver for the ui? Want to better understand the process of this unit

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The UI Board controls everything dispenser related.

The main control board is the motherboard, BRAIN.:)

The tech data sheet schematic shows you where all the parts are controlled at.

Jake