• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Gladiator/Whirlpool refrigerator/freezer loud buzzing

mskvarenina

Premium Member
Model Number
GAFZ21XXRK02
Brand
Whirlpool
I have a Gladiator/Whirlpool refrigerator/freeze that is making a very loud buzzing sound from the top cabinet. This is the unit which has a freezer on the bottom and the top can be a freezer and or a fridge.

I cannot remove the back to this unit as it appears to be completely sealed on the back.

I was able to remove the metal cover to expose some styrofoam and the buzzing appears to be coming from behind the styrofoam but the styrofoam appears to be secured well to the inside of the unit.

Any ideas what this problem could be and how to fix it?

Also, this same unit has a problem where when it defrosts it drains into the lower freezer cabinet.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

mskvarenina

Premium Member
Thanks for the reply, and the service manual.

I was able to remove the sheet metal then the styrofoam insulation to reveal the chilling coils (not sure of the technical name for these). The loud sound was coming from a fan rubbing against some frostly ice lining the fan mechanism. It appears the way this unit works is the chiller is in the top compartment (behind the metal and styrofoam) then the fan forces some cold air into the top compartment and whatever doesn't go through the small hole is forced into the freezer compartment.

I do not know when there is a buildup of frosty ice but when I melted it down with a heat gun, the sound obviously went away and it's chilling normally now with no loud noise.

I do have another problem with this unit however. The lower compartment seems to accumulate a large amount of ice on the back wall. This ice eventually makes it's way down to the floor of the unit and encases everything it comes in touch with.

Someone once said that there is a drain hole clogged that is suppose to drain the water from the defrost cycle to the outside and bottom of the unit. Having the upper compartment apart I can see how the water could or is entering the lower section (right through the large left opening from the center in the attached picture) but I do not see any means for the defrost water to go anywhere else. The second photo shows the coils and as you can see as water melts off them it seems to naturally drain into the foil then into the lower compartment. Any idea how to address this?

Attachments

rickgburton

Staff member
The drain hole should be directly below the evaporator and heater. Use a hair dryer to thaw it out and run hot water through it to clean it out.

mskvarenina

Premium Member
The drain hole should be directly below the evaporator and heater. Use a hair dryer to thaw it out and run hot water through it to clean it out.

Thanks for the manual, it will certainly come in handy in the future. The drain hole is not visible simply but just exposing the evaporator but would you say I need to lift the evaporator and alluminum tray right below it to get to the hole? I'm asking because I already reassembled the unit and don't want to disassemble it again until I know exactly what I need to do.

rickgburton

Staff member
No, let's see if it continues first. Sometimes just letting it defrost will clear the drain.