• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GLD6760N20SS GE Quietpower 3 dishwasher not circulating water w/sprayers - dirty dishes

Robo9114

Premium Member
Model Number
GLD6760N20SS
Brand
GE
My dishwasher is a little more than two years old and was originally installed without an air gap - a high loop in the discharge hose was used instead. Over the past couple of months it would not was dishes very well and occasionally we would find the detergent tab in the bottom of the tub. I had repair come out and he told me I needed to install an air gap which should resolve the problem. I did and it worked for a couple of days and is now back to short cycling with no water spray and partially used tabs. I asked aout this possibility and was told that we would next have to evaluate the pump, since it may have been damaged because of the original installation. I've read some posts here of similar problem and have seen several answers from clogged hose/air gap to bad pump. My first question is, why would the unit work flawlessly for all this time and all of a sudden require the air gap to work? Second, any other suggestions for repair/resolution - really difficul to get at air gap for in clogging every time this happens as it is mounted under the counter. Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That air gap has no effect on the dishes getting cleaned, its only purpose is to prevent dirty water from back flowing into the clean water from your home water supply.

Does the water level come up to about 1-3 inches below the heating element in the tub? Start a new cycle without dishes in it and after you hear it stop filling open the door and check the water level.

Also Read this thread:

He found gunk blocking his filters and in the inlet sump assembly.

If those 2 issues are fine, then it just comes down to your motor/pump assembly as being the culprit.

Here's the motor/pump assembly for your model you can order here:
Dishwasher Pump and Motor Assembly WD26X10054

Jake

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
An air gap is no longer necessary on drain hose connections as long as the loop in the drain hose is higher than the bottom of the sink. It's common for drain hoses to get a build up of grease and deposits on the inside of the hose. Take the drain hose off and clean it out or check it anyways. That's where you should start.

Robo9114

Premium Member
Thanks guys. I didn't think the air gap was the issue. Anyway, I started up again without dishes and it is working perfectly. This is really my problem - no rhyme or reason to when it works and when it doesn't. Also, as a side note, have there been any issues with duration of cycles changing? I notice often that the durations change from time to time.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
So what your saying is at times you don't even hear it washing in it at all? No motor noise? But its running fine without dishes, but if you put dishes in it the motor won't run? no motor sounds/splashing water inside it?

Jake

Robo9114

Premium Member
No I always hear the motor running, sometimes there just isn't any water pumping. After trying your suggestion yesterdy to run it without dishes - which worked, I decided I didn't have anything to lose so I filled it with dishes last night and it worked perfectly. That's really my dilemma now, I just don't know when it's going to wash. I really appreciate your input so far though.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, Intermittent problems like this are the hardest to nail down.

Jake

xiaobao12

Premium Member
Hi guys - resurrecting an old thread. I have a Quiet power 3 that I am trying to fix.

Today, I replaced the inlet valve as I didn't see a water level in the tub after starting a cycle. Now, I see a water level - not sure if it's the right amount, though.

The next problem are the spray arms. The middle spray arm essentially does not move. I have opened and closed it to check and sometimes it does but most of the time it does not.

The lowest arm seems to be moving but I can't be sure.

Also, there are now some extra noises when I start a cycle. Like a tube with tiny balls being shaken. This sound happens for a few seconds after the dishwasher is filled and starts running the cycle.

Any help would be appreciated. My landlord is 80 years old and she lives below me. I'm trying to help her out by being handy.

Thank you.

rickgburton

Staff member
Did you check inside the sump at the rear of the tub and check for any debris? Check the pump for any debris

xiaobao12

Premium Member
Thanks for the link. In that video, are you suggesting that I perform the steps until 3:03 and see if there is crud stuck?

xiaobao12

Premium Member
Sorry if I wasn't being clear Rick. You provided a link right? There is a video in the link on how to do the repair. That is the video I'm asking about as I am unsure as to when you say, check the pump for any debris. I haven't ever done this before.

An update: I started a cycle, let it fill, and then run. I opened the door suddenly to see what was going on. I can confirm that there is water coming out of the nozzle which links to the middle spray arm. However, it is not nearly as strong as it use to be. I remember when it would spray strongly against the door (when I would remove the top rack, thereby eliminating the use of the middle spray arm for the cycle).

The bottom arm seems to be turning and upon opening suddenly, I do see spurts of water coming out of the holes.

Would running a cycle with citric acid help in this case?

Thank you for any help.

rickgburton

Staff member
xiaobao12 said:
Like a tube with tiny balls being shaken.
There might be debris like pieces of broken glass, plastic, bread ties, etc; etc. inside the pump. That wears down the impellers in the pump and slows the water spray. Check the holes in the spray arms. They often get blocked. In other words, you might not need any more parts. You may just need to take it apart and clean it out.