• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GLHS66EJSB0 Refrigerator leaks water to floor, once or twice a day

TC_Woods

Premium Member
Model Number
GLHS66EJSB0
Brand
Frigidaire
Had this problem before, technical took it apart ( I watched) , made sure the defrost drain wasn't plugged up. Things were fine for a while.

Now, problem has returned. This time, I took it apart, made the following observations, it was going thru defrost cycle at the time.:
1. Little pan under the coils had no water in it. Small drops were entering and running out.
2. Noticed a few drops come from Auto ice maker rig. Noticed ice cubes are much smaller than when produced.
3. Found a 1/4" sheet of ice under the lower freezer drawer. Water appeared to hit the ice and run out and onto floor.

I removed the ice maker assembly, cleared the ice on the bottom area, cleaned up all the water and plugged it back in. That is the current situation... I'm now waiting for next defrost cycle, having no idea when that will be to see if water returns to floor.

Possible that the defrost cycle is running too long or too hot, causing the ice in the ice maker to melt? Current temperature is 6 degrees F.

Appreciate any feedback

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
TC_Woods said:
Little pan under the coils had no water in it.
Are you referring to the drain trough beneath the evaporator coil inside the freezer compartment or the drain pan under the refrigerator?

TC_Woods said:
Found a 1/4" sheet of ice under the lower freezer drawer. Water appeared to hit the ice and run out and onto floor.
That is usually a sign of a plugged or restricted defrost water drain.

In such a case I suggest totally defrosting the refrigerator and using compressed air from underneath and blowing up into the refrigerator to flush any residue that could be hampering it. (Put a cloth over the opening in the freezer to catch anything blown through.)

TC_Woods said:
Possible that the defrost cycle is running too long or too hot, causing the ice in the ice maker to melt?

That is extremely unlikely unless everything else in the freezer is melting as well.

Dan O.

TC_Woods

Premium Member
Thanks Dan.... I was referring to the drain trough beneath the evaporator coil inside the freezer compartment .

Since the ice also seems to be melting (getting smaller while in the bin), I'm going to try dropping the temperature to 0. If that doesn't help, I will do as you suggested.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
TC_Woods said:
ice also seems to be melting (getting smaller while in the bin),
That is normal. Ice cubes left uncovered will eventually evaporate due to sublimation. They don't have to get warm to do that. Air movement over them is all it takes. It's like windchill.

TC_Woods said:
I'm going to try dropping the temperature to 0.
Colder temperatures usually means more air flow and thus more evaporation due to sublimation. But doing so shouldn't hurt otherwise if you wanted to try.

If there's water/ice on the bottom of the freezer floor, a plugged defrost water drain is the most common cause. A fridge will usually defrost every 12-24 hours. If the leaking occurs regularly, it should point to that as the cause. It could just be slow to drain rather than totally plugged, overflowing temporarily just when the initial big defrost water rush is occurring.

Dan O.

Last edited: