• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED GLHS68EESB0 Engaging Water Dispenser Paddle makes water go into ice maker via the filler tube

Angelo1018

Premium Member
Model Number
GLHS68EE
Brand
Frigidaire
Good afternoon,

A couple weeks ago, the water and ice dispenser stopped working. There was no power going to the front of the fridge (none of the lights were lit). While this problem existed, if i turned on the ice maker, water would randomly shoot out of the water dispenser in the front. So i turned off the ice maker.

I replaced the control board (not the dispenser control board, the other board) and the dispenser for ice and water now work. However, when i push the water paddle to get water from the dispenser in the front of the fridge, water starts going into the ice maker via the filler tube. I removed the ice maker to see if the problem would still occur and it does.

The ice maker seems to work, as when i use the manual override feature (holding the on button for 15 seconds) i can see the ice maker parts moving. However, water does not dispense into the ice maker unless i push the water dispenser paddle in the front of the fridge.

Thank you all very much...this has been driving me nuts!!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

A bad diode or bad water inlet valve would cause that problem with water running into the ice maker when using your water dispenser.

Look for the diode at the wiring harness before it plugs into your water inlet valve connectors.

Some models have the diode and some don't only way to tell is cut open that black heat shrink, but be careful not to get the wires. Unplug your refrigerator first.

Here's the diode kit:
Diode 5303918287

Here's the water inlet valve:
242252702 Water Valve

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Angelo1018

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. I'll take a look. What if my model does not have a diode? Would you say that its then the water valve? Could i have a bad board? I"ll keep you posted.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
What if my model does not have a diode? Would you say that its then the water valve?
Correct, it would be your water inlet valve.

It wouldn't be a control board problem.

Jake

Angelo1018

Premium Member
Hi Jake the diode kit that you’ve indicated is not compatible according to the parts website but the water valve is. I haven’t taken anything apart yet but does that mean I don’t have a diode on this model?

Angelo1018

Premium Member
8C744A44-4541-470A-B217-BC21D9F3BDB7.jpg

Looks like I have a diode

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yup, I see it.

Its compatible, don't pay attention to where it says not compatible.:)

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.:)

Jake

Angelo1018

Premium Member
Good morning. I just replaced the diode and the problem is fixed! Thank you very much.

I just reconnected my ice maker but doesn’t seem to be cycling unless I do the manual override. Is there something else I need to do to reset the ice maker?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I just replaced the diode and the problem is fixed!
Excellent, good job, glad to hear that.:)

I just reconnected my ice maker but doesn’t seem to be cycling unless I do the manual override. Is there something else I need to do to reset the ice maker?
Give it 24 to 48 hours to start cycling normally.

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Great, glad to hear that.:)

Thanks for the 2nd update!

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.