• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake

Goldstar Microwave MVH1615WW magnetron getting very hot

jokken

Premium Member
Model Number
MVH1615WW
Brand
LG
hi, i have a Goldstar Microwave MVH1615WW. Originally this unit was having the loud droning sound I am familiar with being a bad magentron. And I replaced the magnetron with a used one. It seems to work and heats water pretty well, but the magnetron is getting very hot and sometimes gives off a smell. I'm a little afraid of it, so I think im done fussing with it.

But I would love to know, should the magnetron get so hot that the ring between the magnets gets red hot and glowing?
The fan on this unit is very quiet and i wonder if it isn't spinning fast enough, and maybe not cooling the magnetron correctly (the original magnetron and this replacement one).

any advice would be great, thx!

Last edited:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Mag tubes go by the microwave wattage. They are not all the same. A 500 watt mag tube in a 1000 watt machine can potentially start a fire. A 1000 watt mag tube in a 500 watt microwave will take 3-5 times longer to cook if it works at all.

jokken

Premium Member
good point, i double checked the old and the new magnetrons. while neither say wattage/amperage, they both have the same model number. i think they are the same. LG Magnetron 6324W1A001L

jokken

Premium Member
thanks Rick. there is a cavity thermostat (thermal fuse) mounted next to the magnetron. can that be connected backwards? the "new" megnetron came with a "new" one but I was not able to figure out which connector/side was what.