• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Goldstar short cycling

pdxguy24

Hi All,

I have a Goldstar M1003R that is going on it's 4th season. At the end of last season it began to short cycle. The compressor would run for about 1-2 minutes (still gets nice and cold) and then shut off for about 3 minutes. It also tripped the breaker a couple times toward the end of the season (circuit was within rating and it had never done it before.)

I pulled it out of storage yesterday and after finding numerous posts identifying dirty coils as the likely culprit, I took it apart and cleaned it. I used 409, a toothbrush, and a garden hose to clean the rear coils. I used compressed air on the front coils (they actually weren't that dirty because I vacuum the coils and filter frequently.)

I spoke with an HVAC repairman, and he indicated that it may be the control board or thermistor. I think if either of these were bad, it would either run constantly or not at all. I have a suspicion that it's the capacitor.

My questions are:
Does anyone recognize these symtpoms?
What range of resistance should I see on the thermistor?
How can I test the cap?
Is there a self test feature for the control board?

I would appreciate any input anyone has to offer. I've gotten my money's worth out of this so if it's not cost effective to repair, so be it. It was such a good performer though, that I'd like to keep it around until I get central A/C.

Thanks in advance,
Tracy

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, its possible, I have seen the control board/thermostat assembly go bad before on these and start short cycling, but if your saying it kicks your breaker as well, that tells me its possible its your capacitor or compressor starting to ground itself out.

Jeff has a good window a/c troubleshooting page here:
http://www.applianceaid.com/a-c.html

Jake