Goodman AC not working

whoppr

Premium Member
Model Number
CK60-1B
Brand
-major brand-
Hi...

I was hoping someone out there would have a parts diagram for a Goodman CK60-1B. Cant seem to find it. I think I am reading the PN correctly.

This unit stopped working and was hoping to get a parts breakdown.

When the unit is on, can hear humming. No Fan. The humming may be the fan motor or compressor, not sure. There are two caps, and dont know which is which. One of them is also a dual run cap. One cap is plastic and smaller. The dual run is a 60uF/5uF

When unit turns on, in addition to the humming, the relay chatters on and off. I think I cleaned it out but maybe not well enough.

If someone has any thoughts, much appreciated.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member

whoppr

Premium Member
Breaker is part of the problem at least. Cleaned relay/contactor and was able to start it up....Any idea how to troubleshoot what is causing the breaker to trip? It wont be the cap since its already started the motor and compressor. It ran for 1 1/2 hours and then tripped. Air seems pretty cool. I am really hoping its not the compressor or coolant. Its old and am in New England. One person I had out years ago did not want to add coolant per EPA. If its the compressor it would mean having to recharge it in addition to the compressor cost. If air is cool, I know one possibility is compressor is drawing too much

Ideas?

Thank you

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
whoppr said:
Any idea how to troubleshoot what is causing the breaker to trip?
The only way would be to measure the amperage draw of the unit (and eventually each individual component, to narrow the cause further) to watch for an amperage spike.

But the problem my just be the breaker itself or a poor connection in the breaker panel. Most often if a component in the condensing unit was responsible, the breaker would trip as soon as the malfunctioning component was powered. A bad connection in the breaker panel generates heat that can cause a breaker to trip. And a 'weak' breaker can trip erroneously for no particular reason.

Dan O.

Last edited:

whoppr

Premium Member
OK, good ideas. I will have to try some of these. It did trip again and ran for hours and hours and up til now has been running all summer. I need an O-scope or meter that I can trigger on current over a certain amount.

Thanks for the help...I will try and few things and post back

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Many clamp-on ammeters have a setting where they'll hold the highest reading they measure so it can be read after a stoppage.