• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Got a new dishwasher today (KDTM404KPS) making a hum while running. I want to make sure this noise is expected?

Duxa

Premium Member
Model Number
KDTM404KPS
Brand
KitchenAid
Hi all,

I just got KDTM404KPS today and am running first cycle (empty). Hearing a humming sounds pretty much the entire time. It doesnt appear to be during pumping water in or pumping out, it appears to be whats creating the pressure to shoot water at the dishes. Pump?

You can hear the sloshing sound of the spinner spraying water behind the hum, that sound seems totally fine. I just want to make sure this hum is expected?

Audio file is attached.

Attachments

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I just hear the motor but my hearing isn't what it use o be. If it sounds abnormal to you call for a warranty service call. Everything is covered for the first year. I believe Whirlpool allows for a "customer education" service call. At least they use to. Lets see what some of the other techs say.

Duxa

Premium Member
I just hear the motor but my hearing isn't what it use o be. If it sounds abnormal to you call for a warranty service call. Everything is covered for the first year. I believe Whirlpool allows for a "customer education" service call. At least they use to. Lets see what some of the other techs say.
Thanks for the reply. My main concern is the buzzing sound. Its not even humming really, more like buzzing. Is this normal? Ive only ever had a few dishwashers in my life and all were loud as heck, so maybe thats why I never heard this sound before, but it sounds kind of foreign to me (again, could be due to ignorance). Is that what the motor supposed to sound like? Buzzing (as opposed to chugging, or whirrr sound, or like a turning over sound)? Also, is it supposed to sound basically the entire wash cycle?

Any chance you can find a video or audio clip of a properly sounding motor so that I can compare? Thank you.

As far as education call, thats a good idea, but I dunno about doing that right now in the middle of this pandemic. So hopefully it doesnt come to that.

Duxa

Premium Member
I tried before posting on here, cant find anything that shows how its supposed to sound, only people with problems, most of which is stuff stuck in the chopper.

rickgburton

Staff member
Did they have a display model where you purchased it ? Maybe they can run it for you and you can compare.

Duxa

Premium Member
I got it at Home Depot, they have them on display, but none of them are hooked up and I dont think they would have the ability to hook it up. They are just rows of dishwashers. If you know of any stores that may have working displays maybe I can see if they have a location near me so I can go over and check it out?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I heard it very clearly, my ears aren't quite as bad as Ricks yet, LOL, but I will likely be in Ricks same boat in 10 more years. LOL

You definitely have a wash motor loud humming problem, they will likely need to replace the wash motor under warranty.

Contact KitchenAid at 1-800-422-1230 to come out under warranty to fix it for free.

Jake

rickgburton

Staff member
Most dishwashers today have a showroom mode. Just lights and the motor work. They only need power.

Duxa

Premium Member
Contacted them via that number. They said that because its so new they recommend just return/exchange with the store. So I am going to do that. Ill post back here with results of the replacement (this is actually 3rd one since the very first one had a huge dent when they delivered it, I didnt even hook it up)... so hopefully 3rd time is the charm (have to wait a few days for delivery).

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, keep us posted.

Jake

Duxa

Premium Member
Just installed the replacement. Running first empty cycle. The buzzing is there, but its much much queter. Id say like 1/5 of the volume that it was before. Im assuming the level of buzzing I hear now is expected as the motor cant just be silent?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Make another video and upload it here, you don't need to zip it.

Jake

Duxa

Premium Member
Here is the new one. I have to zip it as its m4a file (mp4 audio), which is not one of the allowed file types. Its the default AAC container, and is used heavily by Apple (the voice memo app on iPhone that I used to record this uses this as the container).

Attachments

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Perfect, that's the normal sound. (y)

Jake