GP6-50-HTPDT State Water Heater: clean flame rod

JerryBurke

Premium Member
Model Number
GP6-50-HTPDT
Brand
-major brand-
I purchased and had installed a propane water heater that will be two years old in March. A few days ago, the unit stopped heating and the readout said to clean the flame rod.

A service tech from the same company that we purchased and had install the unit came out and did that, and informed us that despite the 6-yr warranty, labor is not included.

Three days later, the unit stopped heating water again and displayed the same message.

The same technician came out, made some 1-800 calls, and determined the flames sense rod would need to be replaced. This will be another service call, as will the installation in a few days. The sensor is covered under warranty.

At this point I'm getting worried that this water heater may be a problem. Has anyone seen this before? Do we have a dark, cold future with this unit?

Thanks so much!
-Jerry

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The same technician came out, made some 1-800 calls, and determined the flames sense rod would need to be replaced. This will be another service call, as will the installation in a few days. The sensor is covered under warranty.
Did he install the new sensor yet Jerry?

Jake

JerryBurke

Premium Member
Hey Jake--The flame sense rod has been replaced and the unit seems to be working fine for the past week.
What concerns me is charges. The water heater will be two years old next month on a 6 year warranty.

We got charged for the first call (1.5 hours, $180) to clean the flame rod.
After the heater went down again, we did not get charged on the second call on which the technician called 1800 numbers from our house and was advised to replace the heat sensor unit.

We got charged on the third call (1 hour, $120) to install the heat sensor.
The part was covered under warranty, labor was not.

I'm just wondering why the plumbing company (or the State Brand) would risk alienating a customer so soon after a new purchase. I am now resigned to the reality that labor is not under warranty in the plumbing business, but I question why when their original fix did not work (cleaning the heat rod) they would charge for the next call. If this third fix doesn't work, then what?

Anyway, thanks for your help and advice--I'm eager to know if this is standard procedure, or if I should be shopping around for a new source of plumbing service.
-Jerry

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Jerry,

I only charge one service call for my customers, even if I have to come back to install the part after I order it. I don't know why they are charging you multiple service calls. Post on the review sites about this, then when they stop getting business they will know the problem.:)

You will need to read your owners manual warranty to see if labor is covered or not under the 6 yr. warranty.

If this third fix doesn't work, then what?
Call them back and they will fix it right, if not I hope you are putting these charges on a credit card so you can dispute them if they dont fix it right.

Jake