FIXED GR478LXPB1 Whirlpool Oven Hidden Bake Element Replacement?

turbospeed

Premium Member
Model Number
GR478LXPB1
Brand
Whirlpool
Hello, Trying to replace the hidden baking element. I have the illustrated parts list but cannot figure out how to get to the element. There are no removable panels on the front or back and the bottom of the baking cavity isn't removable. Any help? Do I need to remove a side panel?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, Read below:

Unplug your range first!

This heating element is accessed from the right side of the range(When standing behind your range). The parts drawings are misleading, making you think that it can be accessed from the back or below -- not so!

Remove the right side panel from the range by removing screws on back edge, and bottom center on the inside. Slide the panel forward to release from tabs on the front edge, then pull out and off.

Separate the insulation that hides the terminals and access cover for the element., then remove one screw at the rear edge of this panel, and slide it toward the rear, then pull out.

Before disassembling the side, you can check to verify that the element is burned out by removing the rear panel and doing a continuity check on the wires leading to this element from the rear of the range. The wires should be a salmon or pink color with high temperature insulation.

Here's the hidden bake element for your model:
Bake Element WP9755770 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Here's the video that shows you how to test it:

Let us know what you find.

Jake

turbospeed

Premium Member
Jake, thanks for your reply. I removed the right side cabinet cover per the instructions and then removed another sheet metal side cover that appears to be there to keep the insulation in place. See the photo below for what I found next. I tried probing around in the insulation with my fingers to try to find the element with no success. I'm afraid to tear apart the insulation to find the element. Does the element sit in a cavity under the baking cabinet or is it just pressed to the underside of the cabinet and held in place by insulation?

I also found that one of the baking element conductors had been pinched by the power board sheet metal cover. I don't think the pinched conductor is part of the problem as the wire jacket is not discolored but I will be resplicing at the pinch. See the second photo.
IMG_0321.jpg IMG_0325.jpg

turbospeed

Premium Member
Jake, I had another go at it today. I pulled off the cooktop and the right side panel, as you stand at the front of the stove. After removing the inner panel the hidden element was accessible under the insulation. There is a small cover panel for the hidden cavity.

The cover panel is tabbed at the front end, of the stove, and there are two mounting screws for the panel and the heating element at the back end.

The heating element was difficult to remove because the tabs of the element frame got hung up in the slots inside the hidden cavity. It did come out with some vigorous side to side movement and several good yanks on the element. Reassembly was a simple reversal of the disassembly.

IMG_0497.jpg IMG_0500.jpg IMG_0502.jpg IMG_0506.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Turbo, good job being persistent and gettin her done.:)

Thanks for the update and photos you posted!

Jake

DJ57129330

Premium Member
Please help: trying to replace hidden bake element (WP9755770) in Whirlpool oven (WERP4120SQ0). Cannot access element, though have removed back panel so far. Cannot find any manual/instructions to access hidden bake element.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You have to remove more than that.:)

Remove the top, sides, insulation shields on both sides, the back panel, pull out the drawer, remove the drawer guides, the 2 sheet metal pieces underneath, (the 2nd panel requires bending for removal, there's creases from the factory assembly). When the insulation is dropped the element pan is exposed.

There are 2 tabs at the front holding it up. A screw driver from the front and side were needed for each tab. The element is held in by 2 screws in the side of the element pan. After that just put it back together.

Jake

DJ57129330

Premium Member
Thank you for your reply. I was suspecting that it was much more involved - you have confirmed that. I will attempt to do what you have outlined (going slowly, taking pictures, being careful, and hopefully end up with luck on my side). Any other advice to add? All is welcome.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I will attempt to do what you have outlined (going slowly, taking pictures, being careful, and hopefully end up with luck on my side). Any other advice to add?
Nope, that's pretty much it.:)

Jake

Arie

Talk about finding a needle in a hay stack!!! Thanks for the info Jake. I have a Kenmore/whirlpool Electric range model 880.***** Bake element problems. You're description of how to access the bake element was spot on accept for one thing. when facing the back of the unit you remove the left side panel to access. In my case the wires were burned out and I had to snip back and repair the spade connectors and reroute the wire and replace the weakened bake element. After searching a myriad avenues finally appliance blog popped up with your reply and parts info..

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Arie, glad we were able to help you too.:)

Jake