• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Grinding noise Kitchenaid Dishwasher

valle

Premium Member
Model Number
KUDC25CHSS1
Brand
KitchenAid
My KitchenAid dishwasher just started making a grinding/crunching noise last night, near the motor. I took off the plate but I'm not sure what to do. Can anybody help with what I should check and how? Other than the noise it seems to run fine! Thanks!

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

valle

Premium Member
Thank you! Please forgive my ignorance, I've never worked on a dishwasher but I'm willing to try, which numbered part is the impeller? So I know what to focus on when I get to it?

rickgburton

Staff member
No problem my friend, the wash impeller is #11 and the drain impeller is #24. The wash impeller sits on top of the drain impeller. You probably won't have to go any further than the wash impeller. It's common to find pieces of glass or plastic pieces caught in there.

valle

Premium Member
Thank you! Okay, I'm down to the top of the wash impeller but for the life of me I can't get that 1/4 hex bolt loose, #12 on the diagram. I have a 1" wrench on the nut on the black impeller "lid" but the 1/4 bolt is frozen tight, I have tried spraying it with Blaster but it's stuck. This must happen a lot since it sits in water 24/7/365, do you have any suggestions for what works? Thanks!

valle

Premium Member
I got it off! So ignore the previous post :) Used vice grips to hold a 1" socket. Anyway, I found a piece of plastic from the dishwasher rack itself, some little clip on the top rack, that had become brittle, broken off and was being ground up. I haven't reassembled yet because I want to clean all the gunk out tomorrow, but I'm very hopeful and sure this will solve the problem! Thanks so much!

valle

Premium Member
:confused: Woe is me.....The grinding is gone but now it's leaking! There's a fine spray all around underneath and drips in the center. I thought I tightened things well. Is it impossible to make it waterproof after opening it up?

rickgburton

Staff member
You'll need to replace the seal kit in the link I gave you in post #2.