• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GS5SHAXNL00 Whirlpool Gold side by side not making ice

jdoty

Premium Member
Model Number
GS5SHAXNL00
Brand
Whirlpool
Ice freezing tray has normal level of ice in it. Ejector arms are at about 2 o'clock, slightly above horizontal, LED is solid on when flap is closed, 2 blinks then 1 second pause when flap is open, freezer temp is steady at -2 degrees Fahrenheit.
Ice is not being harvested. I replaced the original ice maker in March of 2020. Is it that time again? How long do these ice maker modules generally last?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

jdoty

Premium Member
Yes, it was OEM.
The good news is, the ice maker is running normally now and has been for two days. I have no idea why it stopped or why it resumed, but I assume the ice maker itself might be the problem.
As you know, we here in Texas suffered numerous power outages in 2021, including intermittent outages and brownouts. This irregular power may have adversely affected the motor or circuits, putting a strain on components.

For now, I am adopting a wait and see policy. Since my fridge is quite old, I researched new refrigerators available from Whirlpool and Samsung and the problems they had. What I found was refrigeration systems much more complex and prone to failure, despite (or because of) the new features and electronics contained in newer units. They also seem to be much harder to diagnose and more expensive to repair.

As an experienced repair technician, your opinion is very valuable. Have you considered rating new refrigerators as to failure rates and repair costs using the data on this forum? The down side would be the time and effort it would take, but I would consider paying a subscription for such information.

In any event, I guess you can close this post and consider it fixed for now with my thanks for your help!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, it was OEM.
The good news is, the ice maker is running normally now and has been for two days. I have no idea why it stopped or why it resumed, but I assume the ice maker itself might be the problem.
As you know, we here in Texas suffered numerous power outages in 2021, including intermittent outages and brownouts. This irregular power may have adversely affected the motor or circuits, putting a strain on components.
Ok, that's good news.(y)

As an experienced repair technician, your opinion is very valuable. Have you considered rating new refrigerators as to failure rates and repair costs using the data on this forum? The down side would be the time and effort it would take, but I would consider paying a subscription for such information.
That would be good to do, but with @rickgburton out sick since January 2022, that will be impossible to do at this time.

What I advise my customers is to get the refrigerator with the LEAST BELLS and WHISTLES, just a basic refrigerator, less to break down.:)

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.