• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GS6SHAXML00 Whirlpool Fridge & Freezer stopped cooling, replaced start device, stopped again

OSpencer

Premium Member
Model Number
GS6SHAXML00
Brand
Whirlpool
Greetings. I have a Whirlpool Conquest and the fridge and freezer both stopped cooling (when doors were open, the lights were on, but no activity from the fan and compressor). Prior to it going out, there was an audible clicking which sounded like it was coming from the front right but I am not sure. The clicking usually happened when you opened the fridge door and, at least initially, would stop after a while once the door was closed. I researched the issue and all things pointed to the start device which I ordered and subsequently replaced. I thought my troubles were over but a within a few days, the clicking sound started again and shortly thereafter it stopped working yet again. I was able to get a warranty replacement on the start device, since it happened in such close proximity to my replacing it. I haven't installed the replacement yet and I wondering if there is something else that could be causing the problem. As stated, when I replaced the start device initially, everything worked fine.

In searching through the forum I found a thread from 2012 which was very similar to my problem (Title: Whirlpool Conquest Gold Refrigerator not cooling on either side) which ultimately cites the compressor as being the source of the problem. Would that be the case here or could it possibly be something else?

Thank you.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Measure the resistance of the compressor windings:
Compressor Testing identification.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, do what Rick mentioned first above.

Here's the OEM compressor start device relay assembly for your model:
Whirlpool WP2319792 Start-Dev

Jake

OSpencer

Premium Member
Greetings. Assuming I have done this correctly, below you will find the pin orientation and results in the attached schematic. Just in case my attachment does not post properly, I have included the details below.

The pins are in an inverted triangle. From R to S = 9.3; R to C = 3.2; S to C = 6.6

Thanks for your help.

PinPic.JPG

Last edited:

rickgburton

Staff member
Readings are good. Check the old start device against the replacement start device:
Compressor Windings.jpg

OSpencer

Premium Member
Greetings. I performed the test as indicated. Old Start Relay: Rear (capacitor side) top pin marked L to top pin on front of device = 9.7; From front lower left to lower right pin = 0
New Start Relay: Rear (capacitor side) top pin marked L to topp in on front of device = 9.1; From front lower left to lower right pin = 0

I performed these measurements with two different DMMs both Sinometers, one which sets the range automatically and the other where the range is set manually. Thanks.

rickgburton

Staff member
Both are within specs and the compressor windings check good.
Start Device.jpg

That makes me think the problem isn't with the start device or compressor but elsewhere. You said the clicking noise came from the right front. Try to pinpoint the clicking noise.

OSpencer

Premium Member
Greetings. Since I last wrote, I replaced the start device with the replacement that I had and, as per past experience, the fridge began to work but within a few days the clicking sound began again. This time I identified where it is coming from and it is from a white box (pardon the non technical description) which is mounted to the rear right wall (when facing the front of the fridge) of the fridge opposite the compressor. Said box has a number of wires that come out of it, three of which lead directly to the modular plug that connects to the start device. The clicking noise definitely sounds like a relay opening and closing and it does so with a regular interval as if keeping time like a metronome. It seems to occur after the compressor has run and shut off (evidenced by the compressor being warm to the touch) and then the fridge door is opened. Initially the clicking would stop after approximately 10 to 20 seconds but yesterday in went on for what seemed like a minute or two. When the problem originally started, I had heard the clicking at various times but didn't know what was causing it. After a while, I came home to a dead fridge and thawing groceries. That led me to finding and replacing the start device the first time which also stopped working a little while after being replaced. I am on start device number two and expect that it will stop working soon, if past performance can be any indication. I have a video and pictures of the device and have attached the picture hereto. Unfortunately, the picture is appearing inverted. Thank you for your assistance.

File Apr 02, 5 11 46 PM.jpg

OSpencer

Premium Member
Greetings. Assuming I can get the part, how difficult is it to install? Many thanks for your assistance.

rickgburton

Staff member
It's not very difficult at all. Remove the mounting screw, open the box and replace each wire connector one at a time to the new board.