Status
Not open for further replies.

esm

Premium Member
Model Number
GS6SHEXML
Brand
Whirlpool
Hi, the freezer part of my fridge (Whirlpool GS6SHEXML) stopped working, the fridge part seems to be OK, the temp is sitting at 35 degrees.
Could that problem be the circuit board in the back?
Thanks,
Ed

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
The problem could be almost anything so we start with the obvious. Check if both fans are working. The evaporator fan is in the freezer section. The condensor fan is next to the compressor in the machine compartment. Make sure the condensor coils under the machine are clean. Make sure the compressor is running. Look on the evaporator cover (freezer section back wall) for any frost build up indicating a defrost problem.

esm

Premium Member
Thanks for the advice.
However, there has been a new development over night. This morning, after throwing away about $200 worth of rotten food, the freezer temperature was down to normal again. What in the world is going on here?

rickgburton

Staff member
I don't know. Do you hear any clicking noises or any odd noises? How long was it not cooling?

esm

Premium Member
No, I don't hear any clicking noises and I'm not sure how long it was not cooling. When I opened the freezer yesterday morning I noticed everything was thawed and then I saw the water puddle in front of the freezer door, probably from the liquified ice in the door bin.

rickgburton

Staff member
When it stops cooling again check the obvious first. Check if the compressor is running when it stops cooling. It's going to be difficult to find a problem when it's working normally.

esm

Premium Member
OK, will do that.
I don't think it's the compressor because the fridge part keeps running fine, or am I wrong here?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
esm said:
I don't think it's the compressor because the fridge part keeps running fine, or am I wrong here?
All the cooling for the whole appliance originates in the freezer. Just a small portion of that air is circulated throughout the fridge section to cool there. A barely cooling freezer could still cool the fridge section. All cooling requires the compressor to have run at some point.

You can read about the possibilities for cooking problems at the following link. Each possibility would have to be looked into one at at time while the problem was occurring to rule out each possibility until the cause in your case is isolated.

LINK > My frost free refrigerator is not cooling properly. What might be the problem?

Dan O.

esm

Premium Member
Dan, again thanks a lot.
I'm trying to narrow things down a bit if possible.
When I noticed that the stuff in the freezer was thawed it's temperature was around 50 degrees F, the fridge part was hovering between 35 and 40 degrees F. Wouldn't that mean that the compressor was still running? Wouldn't that eliminate the compressor?
Trying to wrap my head around this.
Ed

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
esm said:
the freezer was thawed it's temperature was around 50 degrees F, the fridge part was hovering between 35 and 40 degrees F.
As explained at the link, all the cooling for the whole appliance originates in the freezer when the compressor runs. A small portion of that freezer air is circuited through the fridge compartment to cool there.

The only way the refrigerator compartment should be able to be colder than the freezer is if maybe you measured the freezer temperature during or immediately after a defrost cycle (as that heating should be limited to the freezer section). The fridge compartment (or whatever component you measured the temperature of) might just be maintaining its previous temperature.

Unless the freezer gets to below the fridge compartment temperature, the fridge compartment isn't going to stay cooler for long. It should not be possible to get colder than the freezer.

Dan O.

Last edited:

esm

Premium Member
Guys,
I'm back here. The fridge ran great for the past 10 days or so and this morning everything was thawing again.
When I stuck my head into the freezer I heard a strange noise as if something was trying to start every 2 seconds or so but could not.
Is that an indication for something?

rickgburton

Staff member
Pull the machine away from the wall and check the compressor. Check if it's running.

esm

Premium Member
No, it does not run, it is cold.
Nothings seems to run but the light inside.
That strange noise is still there.

rickgburton

Staff member

esm

Premium Member
In order to measure the voltage I need to take the start device off.
How does that work without breaking anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.