• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED GS6SHEXNL00 Ice Maker covered in a glacier

Status
Not open for further replies.

awsop

Premium Member
Model Number
GS6SHEXNL00
Brand
Whirlpool
Hello,
Opened my freezer today to find a mountain of ice sitting on top of my ice maker and a solid block of ice on the side of the freezer from ice maker to bottom of freezer (see attached pics). This is the second time this has happened. First time, I broke the ice maker unit trying to remove it, and I replaced the entire unit. Any suggestions for a cause / fix is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMAG0551.jpg
    IMAG0551.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 136
  • IMAG0550.jpg
    IMAG0550.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 133
  • IMAG0549.jpg
    IMAG0549.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 151

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Replace this line and that will fix it:

Water Line WP2256096
Water-Line-2256096-00670918.jpg

From the rear of the unit, disconnect the upper water line from the fitting. Slowly pull the end of the water fill nozzle out of the fitting in the top of the freezer liner. Continue to pull the rest of the tube out of the liner. It will require some force to remove the first foot of tube from the liner. NOTE: If the fill tube has water frozen inside, it will be necessary to melt the ice before removing the tubing; otherwise the tubing will tear when it’s removed.
To melt the ice inside the fill tube, fill a squeeze bottle with hot water and install a length of flexible tubing on the spout of the squeeze bottle. Insert the flexible tubing into the water fill nozzle as far as the ice blockage. Squeeze the bottle and allow the hot water to melt the ice.

To reinstall the new tube, insert the end of the tube into the hole of the freezer liner fitting and push it through as far as the nozzle will allow. To prevent a water flow restriction do not twist the tube and nozzle. The end of the tube may get caught on the fitting at the back of the refrigerator. If this happens use a small screwdriver to line it up then push the line through. Position the nozzle so the bend is toward the mullion.

awsop

Premium Member
Ordered and installed part

Thanks for the part link and installation instructions. Received part quickly and it is now installed. Will post another update confirming that the problem has been fixed. Thank You.

awsop

Premium Member
Thanks for the part link and installation instructions. Received part quickly and it is now installed. Will post another update confirming that the problem has been fixed. Thank You.

Update: Confirmed that my ice maker is repaired. Due to the glacial flow, the circuit board for the ice maker on/off switch became damaged. I replaced the circuit board along with the aforementioned part, and I have ice cubes again. Thanks again rickgburton.

rickgburton

Staff member
OK, replace the water valve. What I think is happening is, the water valve is leaking and the water is freezing in the nozzle. When it freezes it starts to restrict the nozzle until there is just a small opening. When that happens, each time the ice maker cycles then calls for water it starts spraying the water. Like putting your thumb over the end of a garden hose. Here's the valve for your machine:
Water Inlet Valve W10408179

rickgburton

Staff member
I can understand keeping your fingers crossed but it's really not necessary. You already replaced the ice maker and fill tube. The water valve is the only thing left..lol. After you get the ice glacier defrosted, take a paper towel and dry the nozzle. Wait about 30 minutes, then touch the nozzle opening with your finger. If you get a drop or two of water, that's what it is.

awsop

Premium Member
OK. New water valve has been in operation for 4 days. All is repaired. Thank you Rick for all of your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.