FIXED GS6SHEXNL02 Leaking when water filter is removed

PepNYC

Premium Member
Model Number
GS6SHEXNL02
Brand
Whirlpool
Hi everyone. I'm new here.

I've seen this question asked but I have just a slight different situation seeing that I tried once already.

I went to change my filter last week and when I removed it water immediately started pouring out of the filter housing. Put the filter back in and it stopped. Turned the water off to the fridge and hit google. Every thread on every appliance forum said it's the water filter housing. So, off to Amazon. Ordered part number WP2186443. A water filter housing. It's a genuine Whirlpool replacement part. I received the part today, installed it and turned the water to the fridge back on. Again, water pouring out of the filer housing. Put the filter in and it stops. My question is could there be any chance that something else would cause this? I know there's a possibility the part can be bad and amazon is sending a replacement but I just want to be sure. If I get the replacement and it does the same thing I don't know what the heck to do.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, you got a bad filter housing from amazon, send it back and get a refund. Too many parts from amazon and ebay come defective.

Get it here and you'll be good to go:
WP2186443 Water Filter Housing

Jake

PepNYC

Premium Member
Thanks for the reply Jake. They already sent me a replacement today. I put it in and it didn't leak anymore through the middle of the filter housing but it was leaking from one of the inlet line connections on the outside of the housing now. I try to take it out and the release collars aren't working and I had to cut the lines. So now I need the 2 grey water lines too. One is 5/16 and the other is 1/4. Both have the push in connections on both ends. No collars or anything like that. Do you know the part numbers for those? Thanks.

PepNYC

Premium Member
That bottom line looks right but that top one doesn't. What's the collar for? They're both ez connect lines.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
They are both the correct parts.

Jake

PepNYC

Premium Member
The lines were stuck in the connections in the housing because the quick connect collars were stuck for some reason. I had to cut them in order to get the bad housing out.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok yes, you were removing the water lines from the defective water filter housing and they wouldn't come out properly due to the one from amazon being defective.

Those are the two water lines that connect to your filter housing, and I only see on of the ends have that built-up end connector that goes into the water filter housing, I don't know why yours shows both have them.

Jake

PepNYC

Premium Member
Perhaps Lowe's or Home Depot might have some 1/4 and 5/16 lines like that.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, they should carry the water line tubing.

Jake

PepNYC

Premium Member
All set. $3.50 for a length of 1/4 tubing and $5.00 for a length of 5/16 tubing. All fixed for $8.50. No leaks.

Thanks for your help Jake.