FIXED GSC25C6EYY02 Whirlpool fridge water dispenser works intermittently

ApplianceRookie

Premium Member
Model Number
GSC25C6EYY02
Brand
Whirlpool
My water dispenser has a mind of its own. It works then a few minutes later it doesn't then it will a few minutes later. Ice makes is still making ice
I have tried to remove water filter and use the water no go
I have the temp on both sides set to the recommended temps, which I think is 0 for freezer and 36 for fridge

I have the line in the fridge side is located behind the bottom crisper and I felt the line and it appears to be very cold not sure if it's frozen. I notice is located right by what looks like a cent from the he freezer side.

Any guess on how to make it more constant?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

ApplianceRookie

Premium Member
Ok I will check the wires but I'm thinking that isn't the issue. The paddle on the door when is depressed the lights come on and u can here some mechanical sound trying to dispense water but no water comes out. I'm thinking the line is restricted or frozen.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

ApplianceRookie

Premium Member
The reservoir was blocked by frozen water. I let it thaw out in the sink and I reinstalled, the water was flowing. But about 14-18 hours later again no water flow. I checked the line into the reservoir which comes from the filter and it had a frozen plug of water. I took it apart at the connector and the freeze plug came out. Why does it keep freezing?
Also the fridge will freeze some foods especially if they are touching the freezer side of the wall in the inside.
I have the temp set to 36 and 0, which is the recommended settings. I'm going to increase it by 1 degree warmer, see if that helps

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to hear it was just the reservoir tank clogged with ice.

Yes, try 1 degree warmer and see if that stops the freezing.

Jake

ApplianceRookie

Premium Member
Nope it still freezing up, but I try to catch it in time before it freezes solid by bending the flex tubing behind the crisper. I even ride to place lose foam around the tube to block cold air from the freezer blowing directly on it, still not working. I mean the line freezes still. Wonder what I can do or replace?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Did the temperature get warmer when you set the temperature control warmer? Set it even warmer and see what happens.

When did the problem start happening? Or has it been ongoing since day 1? In the summer months does it happen?

Jake

ApplianceRookie

Premium Member
I replaced the water filter we a new again, as the other one was causing the water filter compartment to have water. Not sure where the water was coming from but as I open the compartment water would drop out. Is the compartment on the top right of fridge, my filter is a push in type.
Even with the new filter the line is freezing up behind the crisper. Also I have removed the air freshener filter on the top left of the fridge.
Now I'm starting to think the water coming out of the dispenser has lost some velocity but it could be my mind playing tricks with me as I'm so over this crap.

Fairport

I am having the same problem, and also have the temp set at recommended or higher. Was there a final solution to Appliance Rookie's problem?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Was there a final solution to Appliance Rookie's problem?
We wouldn't know unless he came back to tell us, which he hasn't as of yet.

Do you have the exact same model number GSC25C6EYY02? The model number tag is located inside the refrigerator section on the upper walls or ceiling. If not please start a new thread with your model number.

Jake

Fairport

Same model except C4 instead of C6. This morning the dispenser is working; a glass of 70 degree water, then one at 50, then one at 60 and a couple more at 70! A thermometer in the refer door read about 36 when opened first time this morning.

ApplianceRookie

Premium Member
Sorry it took me a bit but here is what I have done.

I was about to replace the fridge but I didn’t
My water dispenser was freezing up once in awhile.
My ice maker would make ice but very slowly.

My solution(s) since I don’t know which made the fix
Replaced water filter with name brand “drop” not amazon cheapo
My drip pan was over filling cause the water tube was cracked at the joint it meets the inlet, back bottom freezer side. So replaced with 1/4 flex tube from local hardware store
I went one degree warmer on both sides
Inside the refrigerator side where the tube meets the water reservoir to chill the water there is a 90 degree connector, wrapped it in AC foam to prevent the freezer side air from blowing directly onto it causing it to freeze.

Fairport

Now, there is excess condensation in the crisper and on the bottom of the shelf above it! Don't see a leak. Water dispenser still working, but first glass at room temp! Probably time to call a repair person- but of course it is Friday afternoon...

Fairport

Called repair guy and came right out, found that the connection to the water reservoir (back bottom of fridge, freezer side) was coming apart. He took it all the way apart, put it together correctly, and 24 hours later everything is still working just fine. I could not see the leak myself, but it was getting worse. Nice and dry in the fridge now.