• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GSE25GSHBCSS GE side by side Fluctuating temps

jonesj0214

Premium Member
Model Number
GSE25GSHBCSS
Brand
GE
GE side by side refrigerator/Freezer has the common fluctuating temperature problem. Freezer set to 0 and fridge set to 37, the recommended settings. Randomly, the temp on the freezer side would go up to about 7 or 8 degrees and then slowly cool off and return to 0. The fresh food side doesn't seem to be an issue as far as the temp. When the temp on the freezer side goes up, the ice in the bin starts melting and the ice cubes form a mold. I did notice some ice/frost collecting on the back wall. To prevent things from leaking, I've turned off the ice maker. I've also unplugged the fridge for about 20-30 secs, then plugged it back in to try to reset things. Seems stable for now, we have had a couple of small power outages the last few weeks due to thunderstorms. So, from searching forums, I was thinking my control board could possibly be a culprit. Please help and thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Normal freezer temps on the brands of refrigerator/freezer models should always be between 0 to 10 degrees. It must be getting higher than 10 degrees for the ice cubes to melt?

Do you have a freezer thermometer in the freezer? If not, then its to buy one to monitor it manually. Get the liquid or digital type, most all stores sell them. Walmart, Target, Hardware Stores.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Also, pull the refrigerator out from the wall, then remove the back lower access panel and make sure your condenser coil is clean and free of pet hair and lint, during the hot summer months a clogged condenser can cause this problem as well.

Here's the parts diagram for your model:
#730 is your condenser coil.

Get a vacuum cleaner attachment or condenser brush to clean your condenser. Even better would be if you have an air compressor or shop vac to blow the condenser coils out, yes its a bit more messy on your kitchen floor, but it cleans it thoroughly.:)

Cleaning Brush L304433062

Clean Out Tool 8171579A

Jake

jonesj0214

Premium Member
I've looked back there earlier this morning and it needs cleaning, going to do that later. I've got a shop vac and an air compressor. I'll take care of that later and report back.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds like a plan!

Keep us posted.

Jake