• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GSF26C4EXW00 Ice Maker Will Not Drop Ice

MaxxTheDog

Premium Member
Model Number
GSF26C4EXW00
Brand
Whirlpool
Hi Appliance Repair Brain!

I am having problems with my in-door (the entire assembly is in the door) ice-maker.

I was having issues with the line freezing (like the link below) and the new heater kit was put in.

FIXED No ice production

The issue I have now is that when the ice is formed, the fingers rotate to push the ice out but do not have enough "power" to push the ice out. If I melt the ice the fingers will reset to what I believe is the home position. I will find them once again resting against the cubes but they will not push.
I jumpered it and saw them move so I know that the do move.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
How much time do you wait when you notice this?

It does take a little time for when the mold heater comes on and the ejector fingers to push the ice out.

Has it stopped dropping the ice altogether? Is your ice container bucket full of ice or halfway full?

Jake

MaxxTheDog

Premium Member
Thanks Jake,
It has stopped dropping ice. Basically we notice that we are out of ice, so than I would look and the fingers would be resting on the top of the cubes. I used to defrost it and it would work for a little while, but now it does not work at all. I checked a few hours last night after I checked to make sure the other parts were working and still nothing. So I defrosted it and once the cubes started to melt it pushed them out. The water ran and it filled back up, so I know that the rest of the system is working. I like where you are going with the heater. I'm assuming that is the little metal tube on the bottom of the tray? Is there a way to test that, or is it part of the whole assembly?
Tom

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes Tom,

You can use a multimeter to ohm test the mold heater, normal would be between 50-80 ohms.

All the ice cube slots in the ice maker tray full of ice?

Do you feel any heat from the bottom of your ice maker tray mold?

Jake

MaxxTheDog

Premium Member
Yes, all of the slots are full of ice. I'll have to test the heater when I get home, same for the questions about feeling heat.
Thanks again, I'll update later........

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Maxx, sounds good, yes keep us posted.

Jake

MaxxTheDog

Premium Member
Tested the heating element. 0.00
When I first hit the wires it quickly flashed 1.71, but then went to zeros.
There did not seem to be any heat coming from it.

Now the interesting part: It made two batches of ice since last night. Not sure how long it takes to make ice so maybe there should have been more in 24 hours (I would think so). Intermittent problem maybe?
Thanks
Maxxers

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thats odd, what was your ohm meter set at? Rx200?

Your meter has to be set at the lowest ohms of resistance.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

Yes intermittent problems are hardest to nail down.

You can order the ice maker assembly here if you continue to have this problem(All parts ordered through our site come with a 365 day warranty/full refund):
WPW10251076 Icemaker

Jake

MaxxTheDog

Premium Member
Overnight last night, no ice. It is done and in the tray, just not kicked out (I did not look to see where the fingers are pointing. I'm thinking I just get the new ice maker. That would cover any part that might be giving me trouble right now.

On another note: Thank you very much Jake (and others) that respond to this board. I'm a guy that likes to tinker with stuff, usually cars, but have never gone down the road of appliances. This has been great fun and a learning experience. I might not always do it myself (like the clutch (I think it was called) on the washing machine that I had a repair man replace a few months back) but it it nice to know that I can and if I get stuck this board is here.

Lastly, we are building a new house and will be replacing all appliances. I'll post in the general chat about recommendations there. I search and only found some of what I was looking for.
This current fridge will turn into the bar fridge, so it will still be in great demand. Especially the ice maker!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Maxx, sounds good.:)

Jake

MaxxTheDog

Premium Member
Quick update. I got the new ice maker today which I installed. It cycled and filled with water. I'm assuming (hoping) that I will have ice in the morning.
I'll let you know.
An interesting thing happened. When in my basement I noticed that the ceiling tiles under the fridge area were wet. I pulled out the fridge and had my daughter fill a glass with water. Sure enough, the line was leaking. The line from the first valve that goes into the back of the fridge was leaking right where there is a little "boss" on the line. About 1" from the end. It looks like this was put here because of the tight angle that the line needs to turn at. If they just would have make the line 6" longer and looped it more, this would not be an issue. I'm guessing that when I was checking the valves to see if they were working, I moved the valve enough to put some strain on the line and it cracked.
I spliced a new, longer, line in and it seems to be working.
On question, when I first put the line into the quick connect in the valve it leaked. I took the line out and put it back in and it is ok. Are the quick connect usually that touchy? Will I be ok in the long run, or should I replace it?

One more issue: When I took out the old icemaker, the plug end that has its insulation stripped down right before it goes into the plug had all the wires cut to that bare wire is showing. It was not touching the wires next to it, but I thought it was weird. I can take pictures of bot issues if anyone things it might help them (not sure how to post them though.

I'll let you know how the ice turns out!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
For the quick connector, the line has to be pushed in as tight as it can go not to leak.

For the bare wires I need to see a photo of that.

Jake

MaxxTheDog

Premium Member
Jake,
I'll snap a picture when I get home tonight. They are only bare on one side. It looks like the machine that strips down the insulation went a little too deep.

I did have ice this morning (and no leaks)! Hopefully it is fixed.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
leaking right where there is a little "boss" on the line
I'm not sure if you're referring to a John Guest fitting as a boss so I'll post a picture of one

when I first put the line into the quick connect in the valve it leaked
The fittings on the water valve are John Guest fittings also. They are excellent water line connectors. I have not had any problems with any of the ones I've installed so far. It's very important to cut the line with a razor blade and that the line is not damaged or brittle before pushing it into the connector.

the plug end that has its insulation stripped down right before it goes into the plug had all the wires cut to that bare wire is showing
I've seen this before. It appears the manufacturing process has stripped a tad too much insulation before soldering the pins in the connector on so there is a small amount of uninsulated wire sticking out of the back of the connector. It's fine and won't be a problem.

This is a 5/16" John Guest coupler for splicing
Tubing Coupler WR02X11330 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com
Tubing-Coupler-WR02X11330-00895073.jpg

MaxxTheDog

Premium Member
Got home from work. I have a 1/2 bucket of ice so it is working well. Thanks to all of you for you help.

Here are the pics:
The one where the wire is stripped, it is only stripped on the one side.
Ice Maker Wires.jpgWater Tube.jpg

rickgburton

Staff member
OK, that's not going to be a problem for the wires. If you have some silicone you can squeeze some around the wires. If not that's OK. The other part I don't recognize. Is it a coupler? Where is it located exactly?

MaxxTheDog

Premium Member
The other part is the water line hose that runs from the main valve to the water dispenser. The picture is of the last 3" that I cut off. It goes into the valve. My guess is that it is formed with the boss there because it has a tight radius going into the bottom of the valve. The hose is pretty hard and it must have cracked when I pulled the valve to check it.

The wires I'm not worried about because that is on the old icemaker that I replaced.

Last edited:

rickgburton

Staff member
That doesn't look like any water line I've ever seen before, on a valve or not so I had to look it up and you're correct. It took a while to find it in "cabinet Parts". #26 in this diagram. If you're having a problem with the water line kinking you can pick up a spring insert that fits into the water line and serves the same purpose. Hardware stores or Home centers should carry it.
W1102229-00001.jpg