• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GSF26C4EXW00 Whirlpool Refrigerator - In Door Ice Maker

drats_cats

Premium Member
Model Number
GSF26C4EXW00
Brand
Whirlpool
My google-fu is having a bit of trouble finding good information on this... I am not a repairman, just someone hacking away at their own appliance.

Symptom: It stopped making ice

What I have done so far:
o I accessed ice maker and it looks pretty much like a standard ice maker, only smaller. I first started by testing voltage between test points L-N. I get nothing... zero volts.
o Not really knowing how this works... I thought that it could be that the infrared ice sensor somehow might be out and that it might cut voltage when full or failed. So I pulled out the transmitter end and jumpered the Black with the black/white wire to attempt to bypass the sensor. Still zero volts between L-N.\
o Pulled out the leads to the ice maker from where they plug into the door and tested voltage at the door end of the plug. Voltage between white and black wire on the door: 0 volts.
o During all the above, I have the two "door close" sensors taped closed.

I am now wildly guessing that there is some sort of fuse or thermal fuse somewhere up stream. Does anyone have any good info on where I would go from here?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
LOL, Not so fast! Rick remember? This is the problem child model that the wires get CUT under the freezer door. :eek:

(Click to enlarge)
cut wires.jpg

Lots of members have found frayed and broken wires causing the ice maker/and or auger motor to be dead. Remove your bottom kickplate grille, Remove the black wire harness loom too, broken wires can be underneath it.

Another member was having a similar problem here: FIXED: GSF26C4EXY02 Whirlpool Gold Ice Maker Problem Look at his post #6 he found frayed and broken wires underneath the freezer door, remove your kickplate and check for that first.

Here's another one with the same thing about the frayed and broken wires: FIXED: 106.51173310 Kenmore elite ice maker not working - no led light

Here's another: FIXED: Whirlpool WSF26C2EXF01 Door Icemaker Not Working

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I know he said he didn't have any volts at P3-4 to P1-2 on the main control board.

But there seems to be some correlation between cut wires and 0 volts at the control board when testing, look here:

Jake

drats_cats

Premium Member
I know he said he didn't have any volts at P3-4 to P1-2 on the main control board.

But there seems to be some correlation between cut wires and 0 volts at the control board when testing, look here:

Jake
I did see some of those cut wire posts... and I actually had started carefully cutting off the wiring harness wire loom when I saw Rick's post. I thought It would be easier to test the main board than to lay on my belly and trim at the plastic. In short: I never did trim the wires back enough to inspect. I *did* test continuity of the wires from where they plug in underneath the fridge to the socket behind the ice maker and all the ice maker wires did have continuity. (They could, of course, be only connected by a thread of copper.)

So... if there is correlation to cut wires, does that mean the main board would have to be replaced in addition to wire repair? (I am guessing crossing cut wires is zapping portions of the main board in these cases.)

I'm not sure what my repair budget is on this fridge. We bought 6 Whirlpool Gold appliances all at the same time in 2012 and have had enough failure that the wife is ready to just haul them all to the dump.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I don't know what the correlation is between the cut wires and 0 volts at the pins at the main control board, just what the other guy said in that thread after he replaced the main control board and still had 0 volts at those pins on the main control board until he found the CUT wires.

Yes, you will have to lay down on your belly to check for cut wires. Or have a family member or friend check for any CUT wires for you, Or you may waste $300 on a control board you may not need.

Jake

drats_cats

Premium Member
Yes, you will have to lay down on your belly to check for cut wires. Or have a family member or friend check for any CUT wires for you, Or you may waste $300 on a control board you may not need.

Jake
LOL. You convinced me. Yes, I know I was being lazy. Count me among the victims of the cut wires. None of them appear to be cut all the way through, but there are 4 wires with multiple deep cuts.

Is there a way to get a little more slack out of the door wiring or you just have to work with what you have here?

IMG_20200205_122813186.jpg

drats_cats

Premium Member
I cut out the damaged wires and re-spliced. Still no voltage at ice maker. I haven't checked at the main board yet. (I sort of have to wait until wife is out of the house to pull out the fridge. Our kitchen is configured in a way that it totally shuts down the house when it's out.) I'm guessing main board is shot.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I see, they are not completely cut but being frayed like that might of shorted out the control board.

Yes, some folks add more wire to give it more slack so that don't get frayed/cut again.

Jake