GSH25ISXLSS Side by side freezer not working stuck at 24 degrees

SwampLife

Premium Member
Model Number
GSH25ISXLSS
Brand
GE
I want to start out by saying this happened after some severe thunder storms in our area, along with brown outs. I was thinking that it was going to be something electrical related, considering the circumstances. Also I do not know appliances at all and I am not electric savvy. It is a GE side by side fridge, model GSH25ISXLSS serial MS205602.

The problem I have encountered is I cant get the freezer to drop temps below 20 degrees no matter what I set the freezer temp to. The fridge on the other hand works just fine. I call the appliance repair man, he came out and unplugged and plugged back in, maybe he did something else that I didn't see, but he said it needed to be hard booted all for the low price of $65. He said call the next day if that didn't fix the issue. Well it didn't fix the issue, we call and he tells us that there might be a Freon leak. He can either fill it with Freon or repair the entire thing for about $800.

It would seem to me that if the Freon was an issue, I would also be having a problem with the fridge. I haven't looked at the fridge in great detail, but I assume he checked everything over real well.

I guess my question is, does this diagnosis seem correct? Is there anything else I can check myself before I go out and buy another fridge? Should I get a second opinion or would I be wasting my money at that point?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

No, I don't think its a Freon leak, because as you mentioned you'd also be noticing the refrigerator side be warming up at least a little bit too.

When you open the freezer door do the hear the freezer fan running?

Do you notice frost building up on the back panel inside the freezer?

Also pull your refrigerator out from the wall, then remove the lower access panel and get a flashlight and see if your condenser fan motor is running, its located next to your compressor(big black ball shaped part).

Let us know what you find and we will continue on.

Jake