GSH25JFTAWW GE Refrigerator Frozen Water...Again.

ttocsic

Premium Member
Model Number
GSH25JFTAWW
Brand
GE
That's right, it's another GE Frozen waterline thread.

I've seen lots of posts around the interwebs about the frozen water line issue. Mine is the typical, in-the-door freeze, issue. I've done the hair dryer, many times. The last time I did it, it froze again within hours. The fridge came with the house when we bought it 4 years ago and I estimate it was bought in '08 or so. Needless to say, warranty is out of the question. I'm interested in attempting to install the little heater module but from what I've been reading, it is only compatible with fridges with metal liners. How can I tell if my fridge has a metal liner?

My bigger question is what about a more logical fix? Has anyone attempted to drill a hole on the inside of the door and fill the door with the home repair foam insulation sealant or gap filler? I'm talking about the stuff that comes in a can from Home Depot. Is there anything exposed within the door that can be damaged by this stuff? More importantly, is there any chance of contaminating the water line?

ttocsic

Premium Member
Thanks Rick. I'm going to go ahead and install the heater option but what do you think about the added insulation idea?
I haven't seen anyone propose actually fixing the underlying issue (without completely replacing the door).

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
The door and liner are foamed together and don't come apart. If you drilled a hole in the liner to add insulation the only space you have is the hole you just drilled.