• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GSH25JSXN GE Refrigerator - Mysterious water issue

JaneD

Model Number
GSH25JSXN
Brand
GE
I have a GE GSH25JSXN side-by-side refrigerator/freezer.

I am having a mysterious issue with the water and have taken a number of steps. I need someone with good mechanical and logical reasoning to help me determine next steps:

Background and steps taken:

1) Water was fine for about 9 months after I purchased the home.
2) Water supply to the refrigerator is a 4-stage R/O with regularly changed filters. The water taste from the RO spigot at the sink is fine. The taste of the ice from the refrigerator ice maker is fine--even after being melted.
3) After about 9 months, the water from the water dispenser started having a moldy smell and taste, but not the ice. Only the first 1/2-1 glass of water dispensed has the issue, and then the rest of the water dispensed seems fine.
4) I bleached the water line following instructions from an appliance repair person on Youtube and the problem went away for only a week or two.

Based upon the above, I believe the problem is isolated to something going on in the freezer door at or near the water/ice dispenser.

I had a repair person who replaced the water tubing in the refrigerator and this did not solve the problem. The same repair person then ordered line to replace in the door, but was unable to figure out how to get into the door to replace the line so did not complete that. He told me that the entire door would have to be replaced.

My question is, what do you think the problem could be? Could it be that the tubing in the door has a crack that is allowing contamination? Is it possible that there is something cracked at the dispenser that is allowing contamination? Any other thoughts?

Thanks for any assistance!