• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GSHS5KGXSS GE Side-by-Side Frost in Ice Dispenser Chute

user181

Premium Member
Model Number
GSHS5KGXSS
Brand
GE
I have a GE side-by-side refrigerator, model GSHS5KGXSS, which has frost build-up in the ice chute. It started ~9 months ago and was very minor, with just a little bit of frost in the chute. About a couple months ago, I replaced the door flap (the original flap was wavy & brittle, not making a good seal). However, the problem continued with no improvement whatsoever. Now, the frost build-up has gotten progressively worse, migrating up the chute and onto the ice dispenser bin assembly and all the way up the front face of it. Also, it no longer just frost/'snow" but ice build-up as well. I clear it out about once a day, and it builds back up quickly.

From the looks of it, it sure seems like an air leak, but the door flap closes promptly, and it appears to close all the way. Is it worthwhile to replace the solenoid assembly too? I didn't do that yet because it seems to be functioning properly.

I have ready many of the other posts and see that this is a common problem.

Thank you!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Yes, check the ice dispenser door to see if its closing properly all the way. The best way is to get a flashlight and shine it down the ice dispenser chute inside the freezer door, then look on the other side where the ice comes out the front and see if you notice the light from the flashlight.

If you do see light then order and replace that solenoid.:)

Here's the solenoid for your model you can order here:
Dispenser Solenoid WR62X10055

Video Included in part link.

Jake

user181

Premium Member
Jake,

Thank you for your reply. I did the test with the flashlight and sure enough, there is light visible. It seemed like the flapper seats all the way, but evidently it isn't. I just ordered a new solenoid.

Thanks again!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help, let us know how it goes after you replace that solenoid.

Jake