• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GSHS6HGDBCSS GE Refrigerator Not Getting Cold

Jeffnrva

Premium Member
Model Number
GSHS6HGDBCSS
Brand
GE
I have a GE Side By Side. A couple of weeks ago, the refrigerator would not get up to temp (Found out with bout of food poisoning). I have cleaned the coils, defrosted the entire unit, replaced the diffuser, replaced all 4 thermistors, and replaced the defrost thermostat. I'm not sure where else to go with this. The freezer digital readout will get down to -9F and the refrigerator will get down to 40F. The freezer is actually colder than the registered -9. The refrigerator reading is correct. Both will flow up a bit but this is the coldest that the refrigerator will get. I wonder if the diffuser is opening all the way. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for your help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok so if you already replaced the thermistors, we eliminate that, then its usually a problem in the damper assembly, the damper door is possibly NOT opening up properly, which is NOT allowing the cold freezer air to cool the refrigerator section fully.

Here's the damper assembly for your model:
WR49X10251 Cover Asm Ff Inlet

Watch this video to remove the damper assembly to see if the damper door is closed or partially closed on it, thus not allowing the cold freezer air to cool the refrigerator section properly:

Jake

Jeffnrva

Premium Member
Thanks. That is the video that I used to install the new damper assembly. That is the first part that I replaced. It does feel like it is opening partially based on what is happening.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, check how much COLD air is coming out of it with your hand, then open the freezer door and see if the COLD air flows out much faster.

Also see if you have frost build-up on the back panel inside the freezer.

Jake

Jeffnrva

Premium Member
I see no difference with the freezer door open or closed. Without taking off the panel in the freezer for the 4th time, the ice maker is working but the ice seems to be melting and re-freezing. In the end, I just get a large block of ice.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
the ice maker is working but the ice seems to be melting and re-freezing. In the end, I just get a large block of ice.
Then it sounds like you have another problem, possibly the motherboard or compressor is wearing out.

When you notice it melting see if the compressor and fans are all running OR if the refrigerator is NOT running and dead silent.

Jake