• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GSL25JFPEBS GE Fridge condenser fan issue

ghartford

Premium Member
Model Number
GSL25JFPEBS
Brand
GE
GE fridge recently stopped cooling on both sides; no noise, no ice, no water nothing. It has power interior lights on, the in door water dispenser light is blinking.

Tested condenser fan motor and compressor starter for continuity. While testing the J2 fan wiring harness connector per the service manual I discovered that if J2 is left unattached and the fridge powered on it will run and cool (endlessly). So something is telling the condenser and fan not to run. Thermistor?

What else should I check?

Thanks

ghartford

Premium Member
Noticing now that the pink resistor leading into the J2 fan output harness looks burnt. Does this mean main PCB replacement?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    559.5 KB · Views: 25

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

ghartford

Premium Member
Okay I replaced the control board but the same issue persists. The water dispenser light flickers and a buzz sound occurs on the top left of the control board about once a second. Other than the light I can’t tell that anything is functioning.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Did you use your meter to do the voltage checks from the motherboard pinout diagram? If so and all volts test good, then you must have a break in your wiring harness from the motherboard, that's all it can be.

Jake

ghartford

Premium Member
Yes but I wasn’t able to make much sense of them. The readings I collected are as follows:
J2

-fan supply 14.5v

-evap 14.5v

-cond 1v

-custom cool fan 0.1v

J4

-comm power 14.4v

I tried to measure the thermistors but the values changed and varied wildly.

bigbuck

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Your model number brings up WR60X10220 as your condenser fan motor which is a 115 volt a/c motor. Burn’t resistor closest to capacitor is for the Evaporator fan motor in freezer. Looks like to me your fan in the freezer is bad and loading down the Direct Voltage or DC volts thats why when you unplug J2 Connector compressor came on. You should unplug J2 and see if it comes alive. Then look at the Condenser fan motor next to compressor if it is working.

Attachments

• New Note.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 17

ghartford

Premium Member
@bigbuck This does sound like what is happening. when i unplug J2 it sounds like the compressor comes on and the condenser fan does start spinning.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks bigbuck!

Here's the evaporator fan motor for your model:
Evaporator Fan Motor WR60X10185

I wonder why the pinout diagram said the condenser motor was DC Volts? Its not common anymore to see a AC condenser fan motor on these electronically controlled GE models.

Jake