• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GSL25JFRFBS GE water line freezing

unfreezeme

Premium Member
Model Number
GSL25JFRFBS
Brand
GE
Hello,

We have a 15 year old GE side-by-side whose water line keeps freezing at the same location, about 3in from the where water is dispensed from. I keep using hair dryers on the inside panel, but I am looking for a more permanent solution. I am now running the dispenser light to warm up the area as suggested in a previous thread here. I understand that there is a water syringe that one can buy, but I just worry about the bacteria from inserting it back and forth many times and the constant need for one to do this. I also read about attaching extra insulation on the inside, but I don't feel comfortable with the solution and will probably be an eye-sore.

Then there seems to be a 'Refrigerator Heating Element WR49X10173'. Does this work for the long-run? We also have plastic tubing for dispensing the water, so will the heating element cause damage to the plastic pipe itself which may cause costly professional service or replacement? Are there any other new solutions than the ones mentioned?

Thank you.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

That heater kit is for--->All metal liner SxS production built January 2003 through January 2007 (serial numbers AF through AM): Models BSS, DSS, ESH, GSH, GSS, GST, HSS, SSS

Sorry, this heater kit won't work on your model: https://www.dropbox.com/s/j5u5igxh16cjudg/Service Flash Dispenser Water Tube Heater Kit.pdf?dl=0

Here's our main thread on this problem:

Jake

unfreezeme

Premium Member
Oh, so the heater kit won't be compatible with our GE refrigerator. What other options do we have other than using a hair dryer?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Just what Rick mentioned in that other thread. That's all I know of too.

Jake