GSQ9631LL0 Whirlpool washer making grinding sound.

DianeH

Premium Member
Model Number
GSQ9631LL0
Brand
Whirlpool
Suddenly during a wash load my washer started making a very loud grinding sound. At the time it stopped spinning, but I have since replaced the clutch assembly, drum bushing and motor coupling with no change except that it does spin now. The drum is balanced and there’s no noise when I turn the drum by hand or during the wash cycle. What else can it be? I did notice that the transmission housing is coated with oil although none has dripped on the floor.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Diana,

Is it making that grinding sound when its agitating or spinning?

If its doing it while agitating, remove the agitator and put it on low fill with no clothes in it and see if it still makes that grinding without the agitator in place.

Jake

DianeH

Premium Member
It works like it ought to when agitating, but on spin it’s terrible. It was very noisy before I replaced the things I did, but it didn’t spin. Now it spins, but is still noisy.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

You said you replace the clutch, drum bushing, and motor coupling.

What is the part number of the drum bushing you replaced?

Take the water pump off of your motor, then do a spin cycle and see if you hear that same grinding noise.

If so, then remove the motor and lay it on the floor with the wires still attached to it, then run the motor by-itself in the spin cycle and see if you still hear that grinding noise.

Jake

DianeH

Premium Member
Sorry to take so long to reply; lots of projects.

The bushing is number 389140. I did what suggested. With the pump detached from the motor, it still makes the noise. With the motor sitting on the floor, it doesn’t. Do you think it’s the transmission?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, then its the transmission.

Here's the gearcase for your model you can order:
Transmission 3360629

There is a video when you click the transmission part.

Jake

DianeH

Premium Member
Thanks for your help. I can’t buy it right now, but I’ll keep this for when I can.