• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED GSS20DBMB GE Refrigerator How to install fridge grill?

danzee

Premium Member
Model Number
GSS20DBMB
Brand
GE
I have a GE model GSS20DBMB side by side and I have a new grille base assembly for it (WR74X10153).
This sounds stupid, but I can't figure out how to clip it in. It's clear where the springs are supposed to fit, but the lower hinges have integral cover plates that have prevented me from installing the grill thus far. I'm sure it's simple, but it has got me stumped.
Help!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Here's the bottom grille for your model:
Toe Kick Plate WR74X10153

These are a bit tricky to put on, but If I remember correctly, the shorts ones snap in first.

Jake

danzee

Premium Member
Jake thanks.
The problem is that I can't seem to get the white side pieces past the hinges. I don't think I tried tilting it forward though. I'll try what you suggest tomorrow morning (it's at my son's house) and let you know if it works.
Cheers,
Dan

Tagman886

Premium Member
From the picture Jake sent you just turn it with the open spaces on the top to go in at the hinge. Then it just snaps in place.

danzee

Premium Member
Thanks. I tried it Jake's way with the door closed and couldn't make it work. I did try with the doors open 90 degrees when I first got the part before I got your advice. No luck at that time. I'll try with doors open and tilting it the next time I'm at the location (probably Monday).

John Lewis

Premium Member
Hi everyone. I am also having trouble with re-installing the snap-on grille. I have tried all the suggestions on this thread but it seems the bottom clips to slide past bar to attach. Tried one side at a time then tried to push both clips at once. Cannot get the grille plush with the bottom bar Here is what it ends up looking like, not snapped in place. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

20150314_161437.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi John,

We need the model number of your refrigerator first. The model number tag should be located inside the refrigerator section on the side wall.

Jake

John Lewis

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

The model number is GSL25JGCCLS. Just one note, it's the original grille. I removed it for some cleaning maintenance.

Thanks,

John

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok John,

Your sure we are talking about the same kickplate grille? In your photo above I see a spring inside that plastic piece, the OEM kickplate does not have any springs, it just has 2 metal clips that push-on the kickplate grille.

Here's the kickplate grille for your model:
Toe Kick Plate WR74X10151

Jake

John Lewis

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

It is the same kick plate. My first pic was to show the farthest point I could get the grille into the fridge. That spring is actually the bolt of the door/hinge. Here is my grille just to confirm.

20150315_154632.jpg20150315_154650.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Got it!

Those 2 photos are much better.:)

Jake

John Lewis

Premium Member
So other than the advice given already, what else can I try? I've tried to shimmy it in, put some WD40 on the bottom hinge hoping it would slide more, tried to lift the front bar up with a screwdriver to slide the bottom clap underneath. It just does not snap on for some reason. Last resort might be removing the door, but really don't want to do that. Help please.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's very strange, I really don't know what to tell you. I've never run into this issue before, they always snap right in for me fine.

Jake

aure84

So other than the advice given already, what else can I try? I've tried to shimmy it in, put some WD40 on the bottom hinge hoping it would slide more, tried to lift the front bar up with a screwdriver to slide the bottom clap underneath. It just does not snap on for some reason. Last resort might be removing the door, but really don't want to do that. Help please.

I have the same fridge as you and experienced the same problem. I almost broke my fridge before I figured it out. It's how you position the kick guard. I was trying to hook the bottom clamp below the steel bar and top clamp above it. That's incorrect. The bottom clamp on the back of the kick guard lays on top of the steel bar on the bottom of the fridge and top clamp rests on the top. After that, it should just slide right in.

Robb235

Premium Member
I have the same fridge as you and experienced the same problem. I almost broke my fridge before I figured it out. It's how you position the kick guard. I was trying to hook the bottom clamp below the steel bar and top clamp above it. That's incorrect. The bottom clamp on the back of the kick guard lays on top of the steel bar on the bottom of the fridge and top clamp rests on the top. After that, it should just slide right in.

This is the winner. Could figure out how to get my kick guard on until I read this post. I had been trying to put the lower clips below the steel bar, when in fact they go above.

LEATRICE51

Premium Member
I am a professional cleaner and never in my cleaning days have I been NOT ABLE to put back a simple refrigerator grill. I was planning to visit a Best Buy to have a look at the grill, but will try your suggestion first. I hope it works.

Attachments

• 1 Fridge Grill-2.jpg
    1 Fridge Grill-2.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 116

LEATRICE51

Premium Member
I agree with Robb235. This was the winning advice!
You can't really see the top bar so you have to feel for it. I did exactly as recommended and the grill slipped right in.
Thank you for saving me a trip to the store to see how to install it.

RB124

This is the answer! Thank you so much. It came out so easy to clean, but I was at a total loss because I was trying to go around the metal bar. Aligned both clamps over the bar, per your directions, it went right on!

sjmacd

This is the winner. Could figure out how to get my kick guard on until I read this post. I had been trying to put the lower clips below the steel bar, when in fact they go above.
On the metal clamps: does the longer one go on the top or the bottom? I got mine in but it's sort of cantilevered up at an angle. Doesn't look right.

ge grille.jpg