• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GSS20ESHBSS GE Refrigerator No water into ice maker

Pipeline010

Premium Member
Model Number
GSS20ESHBSS
Brand
GE
So glad i found this forum. Thanks in advance.

Received a fairly new(ish) fridge from my father in law whose friend just replaced with a new one. They never ran the water line as they didn't have a dedicated line nearby. We do, so tried to hook it up.

Crazy interior leak immediately. I ran the multimeter on the water controller module (sorry, don't know the lingo, I'm an auto mechanic). I had 0 resistance on the coil. Ordered a new one, and just attempted an install.

Water line now works fine, but the line to the icemaker is not running at all. I pulled the ice line from the rear of the fridge, blew through it (by mouth, yup) and no blockages. Checked the spring on the on/off arm and no issue there either.

I put the only controller back on and, again, water spews from the ice line freely.

Any suggestions from the experts? Here's a picture of what I'm looking at. Thanks a ton.

Corrected model number

Attachments

• 20220223_184559.jpg
    20220223_184559.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 64
Last edited by a moderator:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi, your model number GS20ESHB SS does not pull up as good, please recheck it.

Take a photo of your model number tag with your phone and upload it here.

Click here: Appliance Parts

Then you will see a link that says: How to find a model number.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok thanks, I see know, you were missing a "S" it should be GSS20ESHBSS.

Ok, from your photo of your ice maker, I can see the ice maker fill tube has disintegrated, that's why its spraying water when the ice maker fills.

This is the part you will need:
WR17X11168 Grommet and Tube Asm

Watch this video:

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

Pipeline010

Premium Member
Oh sorry, the fill tube line is fine. I had taken that picture while i had removed the line to test it. It's not in the photo, but the line itself is 100% intact.

With the old water valve the water ran constantly out of that line. I assumed the valve was stuck open and replaced.

With the new water valve the water doesn't run at all into the ice maker. It runs to the water on demand just fine.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, got it!

Force a ice maker cycle:

Turn off, then on, then hit the feeler arm three times in 15 secs to force a cycle.

Ice maker part number for your model is WR30X10093

You will need to check for 120 volts at the ice maker side solenoid(RED SOLENOID) of the water inlet valve using a multimeter.

Take the electrical connector off the ice maker side solenoid(RED SOLENOID) of the water inlet valve and put your meter probes in that electrical connector and see if your meter reads 120 volts towards the end of the ice maker cycle, when it fills with water.

OR

Direct test your water inlet valve with a test(cheater) cord as jptl describes here: Testing ice maker water supply at the solenoid

Here's the water inlet valve for your model:
ge-valve-wr57x10050-ap3706447_01_l.jpg

Let us know what happens.

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.