• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED GSS25IFPEWW GE Water Dispenser Won't Shut OFF!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

familymcd

Premium Member
Model Number
GSS25IFPEWW
Brand
GE
HELP!! :confused: Here's the story...

Last year we were having a Christmas party and my brother-in-law put his glass up to the water dispenser, got some water, and to his surprise (and everyone else's) when he took his glass away, the water didn't stop pouring out!!!!! After everyone dancing around the kitchen handing him new glass after new glass, we finally ended up turning off the water at the wall. Well, my husband tried to fix it but he wasn't able to. We decided to just keep the water off because we didn't want to call in the repair man. So, recently I found your forum, thought I figured out what new part I needed (a microswitch), ordered the part, my husband replaced it and IT WORKED...but only for the first couple of uses. Then, water started pouring out again!!!

Does anyone know anything about this problem or how to fix it?

We have a GE GSS25IFPEWW side by side. It is about 3.5 years old. We replaced the microswitch in the freezer door.

THank you in advance for your help!!!! :)

familymcd

Premium Member
Thank you!

What a good idea!

We think it is the fill valve sticking. I searched the posts and found that too little water pressure can cause it to stick. So, my husband bypassed the filter system so the water goes directly from the wall to the ice maker/dispenser. Now it is working!!! Hopefully it will stay that way this time! I will post again if it breaks again.

Thank you so much!!!

~Erin ;)

familymcd

Premium Member
Happened Again!

Hello again! Well, we thought we had the problem fixed, but tonight it happened again. The water wouldn't stop coming out of the dispenser. So, we are ordering the Dual Water Inlet Valve.

The water didn't stop when we unplugged the refrigerator. We had to turn off the water.

Hopefully this problem will be solved when we get this new part.

~Erin

sandcave

Premium Member
water keeps running

Hello,

Same thing happened to me just now. My daughter put her cup up to get ice, but water started coming out and wouldn't stop. I unplugged the fridge (it's a Hotpoint), but the water kept coming. It only stopped when I removed the filter inside the fridge. Local hardware man told me it's probably a relay switch. Is that correct? If so, is that a do-it-yourself repair?

Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Local hardware man told me it's probably a relay switch. Is that correct?
No because the water should have stopped when you unplugged the refrigerator.

You will need a new water inlet valve, whats the model# of your refrigerator?

Click here to locate it: Help Me Find My Model Number - RepairClinic.com

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

sbbiomed

Replaced valve twice before

Jake and others,

I have had this problem with my GE side-by-side for over one year now. I replaced the valve in the back of the refrigerator about a year ago after I found water all over the floor numerous times. The dispenser worked and there was no water for about 6 months and then the water all over the kitchen happened again. Instead of trying to fix it myself, I called a repair man and he changed that valve again and replaced a board in the freezer door (too much money to spend on a 10 year fridge). It worked great for another 4-6 months and there was another flood on floor. I have noticed this time that the dispenser is leaking as well and we shut water off for a while and no water was leaking anywhere. I put the water on again and no leaks for a month or two and we had ice, but did not touch water dispenser (if we use it, the water leaks from it for a while). About a week ago, my fridge flooded the floor two days in a row (have towels by fridge) and yesterday water is coming out of dispenser. The water is coming out every 20-40 minutes or so and sounds like someone is pouring about 2-3 oz of water for 2-3 seconds. I have a tuperware under dispenser and pouring water into sink every few hours. I can change valve again or call someone, but I have spent over $500 in the last 15 months on fridge and don't want to spend $60 (if get valve) to up to a couple of hundred (if call someone).

Please help..

Thanks,

Steven

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Steven,

This is very strange why its doing this, never seen anything like this before, maybe another tech. has and shed some light on this problem.

Jake

fish

Premium Member
The family and I were eating dinner and heard water running. Jumped up and found it to be the water dispenser in our side by side GE was stuck on. I pulled the refrigeator out and turned off the water supply. The model # TFX28PP. I was just glad we were home. Jake, do you know the part I need to fix?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

We need the full model# click here to locate it: Help Me Find My Model Number - RepairClinic.com

Ok, to verify if its the water inlet valve, turn your water supply back on then unplug your refrigerator, if the water keeps coming out with the refrigerator unplugged, then yes you have a bad water inlet valve.

But we need the full model# to link you to a new water inlet valve.

Jake

k cozzo

hey sbbiomed- you might wanna recheck your connections- sounds like you might have the ice maker solenoid wiring hooked up to the water dispenser, I'm guessing the wiring harness is backwards and the ice-maker is cycling and kicking the water solenoid. I have the "water stuck on problem" right now too, turned off the water at first. For all of you that don't wanna be without ice while waiting on the part- sometimes you can turn the water off, and jiggle the water dispenser switch, then turn the water back on, and then disconnect only the solenoid side that activates the water, then you still get ice. Think I'm gonna put a new filter in before I hastily replace the solenoid, someone here mentioned that already, I think I have heard that somewhere else too.

fish

Premium Member
Hello Jake

The model #TFX28PPCBWW HV250762
I plugged the refrigerator back in and turned water supply on. The water is not running at will now and operates correctly. I am afraid it may turn on again automatically with no one home. Do I need to replace a part?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, from that information then it sounds like your dispenser switch is bad.

Here's the dispenser switch for your model:
WR23X10783 Dispenser Switch

There is a HOW TO video in the part link.

Make sure you unplug or turn the breaker off to your refrigerator first.

Jake

fish

Premium Member
Thanks Jake for your reply. The fridge has been on for about 5 hours and no ice. I never heard it cycle.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, give it 24 hours to start making ice.

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.