FIXED GSW9545JQ0 Washer stops before drain, before spin

1433r

Premium Member
Model Number
GSW9545JQ0
Brand
Whirlpool
Two days ago, my Whirlpool GSW9545JQ0 made it to the end of the cycle apparently without rinsing or spinning. It had drained though. The clothes were sopping wet. I suspected maybe a clothing item was jammed up somewhere or it was too heavy a load or off balance. After pulling some stuff out and setting the control knob out for rinse/spin, it started spinning and completed OK. I added the remaining wet clothes and it finished normally. Yesterday a load ran perfectly fine. Today, it stopped before even draining. Pulling the knob out and pushing it back in made it continue on its cycle. Does this sound like a timer issue?
Thanks in advance for any advice
Rob

1433r

Premium Member
Another load... same as first. It gets to the spin cycle, is making noise like something is spinning but the basket is stationary. I took out some of the items and it would start spinning. I finished by adding the items one by one as some of the water was spun out. Perhaps the clutch has gone bad?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Today, it stopped before even draining. Pulling the knob out and pushing it back in made it continue on its cycle. Does this sound like a timer issue?
When it stopped before draining was it dead silent? Or did you still hear the timer running or anything running?

Jake

1433r

Premium Member
When it stopped before draining was it dead silent? Or did you still hear the timer running or anything running?

Jake
Silent. The other time where the basket didn’t spin the motor was definitely going though.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, then it sounds like two problems.

The Timer is no longer available: 3954569 Timer

Here's the clutch for your model:
Clutch WP8299642

But its not wise to spend money on parts if other parts are not available, you know what I mean? This machine is 19 years old.

Also its only a matter of time till your transmission and basket drive wear out too.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

1433r

Premium Member
I rolled the dice and installed a new clutch. Trickiest part was getting the retaining spring mounted back onto it. I also discovered that two of the three screws holding the transmission onto the chassis had fallen onto the floor. This was probably not helping. At any rate, after three loads it now seems to be back to normal. Maybe I will get squeeze another year or two out of it yet.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Rob, glad to hear the new clutch fixed it.:)

Thanks for the update!

Yes, another year or two of out it would be great.

Jake