GSW9650LW0 Whirlpool Ultimate Care II Washer occasionally not initiating spin cycle

ronnustwo

Premium Member
Model Number
GSW9650LW0
Brand
Whirlpool
**not exactly sure of age, came with house
s/n CP3823234, decoder states manufactured in 2003

I've once replaced the coupler about a year ago as the spin cycle didn't happen at all, that seemed to entirely fix the issue and the machine was acting as if it were new.
At this time the spin cycle seems to be hit or miss, occasionally it wont spin at all even with repeated attempts to engage it by using the setting knob.
If I were to do another load immediately after, it usually will work just fine.

There is also a loud "clunking" noise which I assume is the transition to or engagement of the spin cycle, everything seems to work OK when I hear this noise.
Everything else works as it should during a normal cycle, the washing agitation is OK, the spin cycle works OK after the loud "clunk"

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi, Here's the parts diagram for your model: Whirlpool Washer GSW9650LW0 Repair Parts

Intermittent problems are the hardest to nail down.

It goes through two spin cycles, one before rinse and one after rinse, when you come back to the machine and open the lid is the tub full of water and it hasn't drained either? Or does it drain fine and just not spin? When it should be spinning do you hear the motor running or is everything dead silent?

Also where does the timer stop at when it doesn't spin.

Jake

ronnustwo

Premium Member
I believe its only the second spin cycle.
Its never filled with water, only sopping wet clothing.
And should I try to turn the knob backwards to try to repeat the spin cycle, it will full and drain with water initially then do nothing else.
I'm thinking im just going to take it all apart and back together again, see if anything is amiss