GSX160301FA Goodman HVAC buzzes every 3 minutes

chayn123

Premium Member
Model Number
GSX160301FA
Brand
Hi,

We have a Goodman GSX160301FA.

The outside unit seems to be working. I checked the capacitor it looks fine. I am not certain that the compressor is working.

I installed a used control panel model 50A50-474. The old one had issues.

Currently the HVAC is blowing air but not very cold air and at exactly every 3 minutes there is a buzz coming from the control panel.

I have ordered a new replacement control panel and wonder if there are other areas to look in for this particular buzzing?

Thank you

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
What's the part number of that control panel?

I'd first pinpoint exactly where that buzzing sound is coming from inside the control panel.

Jake

chayn123

Premium Member
This is a bit of a saga

Hello,

Thank you for your response. This is a bit of a saga. The control panel is a 50A50-474.

It turns out the buzzing is coming from the circuit breaker.

2 weeks ago if the AC was running for a couple of hours the fan would keep running after the compressor/thermostat shut off. I replaced the thermostat and this issue continued.

I ordered a used 50A50-474 off eBay, installed it and everything was great for 4 days. Then the buzzing started in the circuit breaker and the AC now only blows warm air. I replaced the buzzing circuit breaker which still buzzes (although not as loudly).

I then replace the ebay ordered control panel with a new one, a model 50A55-943. This one gives a short humm and nothing else. I fig

So, I replaced the 50A55-843 one with the one from eBay 50A50-474 and am waiting for the HVAC guy Monday morning...

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Those links point to a white rodgers thermostat module, I'm highly confused now.

If GSX160301FA is the model number of your unit, it has to be in that parts list I posted above.

Or it is in your inside furnace air handler? What's the model number of your inside furnace air handler?

Jake

chayn123

Premium Member
Hi,

The 50A50 is inside the HVAC. It is a White Rodgers Control Panel. I appreciate your replies and will report back after the tech visit.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.:)

Jake

Gary Lawson

Premium Member
buzzing is your 24v contactor coil its energized from the tstat on a call from y cool. Put a meter on you find 24v on the coil and not making contact mostly ants or contact points are pitted. the fan motor and compressor are 230v. either you not getting 230v or your cap is bad removed the wires and check MFD if its a dual cap check herm(compressor) to C( common) bet your Dual run Capacitor is weak and only has the right mfd on the fan side which is like 5mfd and the hermetic should be rated like 55mfd anything less 10% of the rated mfd wont start your compressor.