GT19X7V Magic Chef freezer ices up

keithb

Premium Member
Model Number
GT19X7V
Brand
Magic Chef
I defrost it and it is good for a week or two, then the bottom of the frezzer starts getting a layer of ice. It gets to the point where he can't keep anything frozen. It is in my Son's house so I am trying to help.
Thanks in advance.

Keith

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
One of the defrost components has failed. Three components make up the defrost system, the defrost heater, the defrost thermostat, and the defrost timer. Check the defrost heater and defrost thermostat for continuity. Check the defrost thermostat while it's covered with frost. It needs to be below 40°F to show continuity. If the heater and thermostat check good replace the defrost timer on the back of the machine. Here's a quick test for the timer: Pull the machine away from the wall and remove the cover over the machine compartment. Locate the defrost timer. Make sure the machine is plugged in and running. Use a small flat blade screwdriver and slowly turn the timer clockwise one click at a time until the refrigerator turns off. You're in a defrost cycle. Open the freezer door and listen for hissing or crackling noises that indicates the heater is on. If the heater turns on the defrost heater and defrost thermostat are good. Replace the timer. If the heater turns on that usually means the timer motor is burned out so you will need to advance the timer out of the defrost cycle until the machine turns back on. If the heater doesn't turn on then you'll need to take the floor out and check the heater and thermostat.