FIXED GTD33EASK0WW not heat and keeps running

Luke Finley

Premium Member
Model Number
GTD33EASK0WW
Brand
GE
Newer dryer that isn't heating and will keep running. I've seen it before on older dryers where one line of the dual heater grounds out, but this one has a completely different element. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet, but I'm hoping someone has seen this with this dryer and can give me some advise.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Luke, Its always best to make sure you have 240 volts before you begin ohm testing.

First check the dual breaker in the home breaker box, if one is tripped and the other is not, it will cause the dryer to run, but not heat. What I do on my service calls is reset BOTH breakers turning them completely OFF, then turn them BOTH back ON again and bingo it's back to normal, if one is tripped!

If your dual breaker is not tripped, then pull your dryer out from the wall, then unplug it, then check your terminal block where your power cord connects to.

I see that happen a lot, in fact I saw it 2 days ago at a customer I had in Blythe, California.
Look here:
(click to enlarge)
FriedWires.jpg

If you see no broken wires at the terminal block, then The first thing I always do is use my multimeter to do a volt test at the dryer terminal block, where the power cord connects to it.

Make sure your getting 230-240 volts at the terminal block in the back of your dryer. The outer wires are hot, middle wire is neutral. So put your meter probes on each of the two outer wires at the terminal block and see what your meter reads, you should get 230-240 volts between the two outer wires on the terminal block.

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Luke Finley

Premium Member
Update: Power supply at the apartment was wrong. Easy diagnosis that I just over thought.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to hear that's all it was Luke. (y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake