• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GTD42EASJ2WW GE Dryer won't stay running?

redline808

Premium Member
Model Number
GTD42EASJ2WW
Brand
GE
So the dryer belt broke, I just replaced it with a new belt and not the dryer will not stay running after I press the start button. If I hold the start button it will stay running but as soon as I let go, the dryer stops. Was working fine before the belt broke? Door switch seems to be working, I can hold the switch in and hold the start button and the dryer runs until I let the button go? Any thoughts?

Thanks

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

This is often a sign the broken belt switch is not working.
Bad switch, bent arm for the switch ( idler pulley arm ), etc.

LINK> Belt interlock switch

Part link also has a video about this switch.

jeff.

redline808

Premium Member
Do you think maybe I didn't get the tensioner arm positioned correctly thus it not pressing on the switch?

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Yes, normally can hear the "click" of that switch when you move the idler pulley and arm back and forth.
Arm can get out of place, bent.

jeff.

Coopernatural

So...
On a related note. I'm trying my hand at this DIY thing and I have a similar issue. Dryer (same model) only works if the start button is depressed, just happened today (yesterday was fine), and I don't think the drum is spinning. My question is; Will a broken belt cause this sort of problem, or could I have two different issues?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Jeff is taking some personal time off, but yes he is correct, if the broken belt switch is not activated because of a broken belt or a broken belt switch, then the dryer will not run or stay running.

I'd first check and see if your belt is broken, disconnect power to your dryer first before opening it up to access the belt.

Here's the belt for your model:
Drive Belt WE12M29

When you click the part link to the belt you will see a video on how to access it and replace it if needed.

Jake