• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GTD45EASJ2WS GE Dryer - Which timer is the RIGHT GE dryer timer

debsmith

Premium Member
Model Number
GTD45EASJ2WS
Brand
GE
Hi folks, I have a 3 year old GE dryer in which the timer thing behind the knob is only turning successfully intermittently. It started about a week ago and is quickly getting WORSE. I've looked online and I think the timer is the problem. (the thing the knob hooks onto) an internet search provides several timer model numbers to choose from.

Are their multiple timers that will work with my dryer? If so, which one might be the best to use? (and which online bunch might be best to order from)

My dryer model number is GTD45EASJ2WS. (verified from inside the door)

I watched a youtube video and I think I can do this myself. (yes, I can see you rolling your eyes...)

And, the weather is just crap around here in Indiana now so the dryer has gotta work.
And, not a lot of money lying around so need to be smart about this, and I truly think I can do this myself.
And, I'm frustrated that I'm having this problem with a 3 year old dryer. (yep, may never buy GE again)

Thanks for your Help! Deb

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

debsmith

Premium Member
Thanks Jake! yes, I'm certain it's not the knob because some of the only times I can get it to work now is to turn it with a vice grips. And sometimes I can only get it to actually turn 'inside' by turning it clockwise. Counter clockwise will turn but its only turning the stem, not inside the device. Does that make sense? It's the oddest thing and only a 3 year old dryer. I'm thoroughly disgusted. I may replace the knob too though if not too expensive since it has had a hard time of it as the timer was failing and I didn't get what was going on at first.

I'd like to replace it with a timer that doesn't fail within 3 years as well.

thanks again! Deb

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Deb, that makes since, go ahead and order the timer then(and the knob if you want) and keep us posted.:)

I posted both the timer and timer knob for your model in post #2 above.

Jake

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
the timer thing behind the knob is only turning successfully intermittently. It started about a week ago and is quickly getting WORSE.
What setting is the timer on when this occurs? Is it strictly a timed setting or an automatic or permanent press setting?

Dan O.

debsmith

Premium Member
Hi Dan, it's a turning issue. I can turn the stem but it is clearly not turning the 'gears?' inside. My best option for turning it is to turn it clockwise and sometimes if I turn it a little ways clockwise then I can get it to turn counter clockwise to my desired setting. thanks, Deb

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
I just thought if it wasn't advancing on its own during auto cycles, there might be other reasons.

If you physically can't set the timer, the timer's internal cam might be worn requiring a new timer.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's what I already mentioned to her Dan.:)

Jake

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
I was just clarifying the symptom. I missed the part about the vicegrips. Sorry

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No worries Dan.:)

Jake