FIXED GTDP301EL1WS GE dryer won't start

giwatcher

Premium Member
Model Number
GTDP301EL1WS
Brand
GE
No start. I think the timer dial feels different, but unsure whether it used to click when advancing the dial like an old fashioned mechanical timer. Light on when opening door means power, but doesn't prove 240v as opposed to 110, right? Beaker not tripped. Door switch turns light off and on when pushed. I assumed the timer was bad, but research says timer death very uncommon. What do you think?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Let's check your timer knob first, on these GE models they are very common to break at the stem where it connects to the timer.

Here's the timer knob for your model:
WE1M964 Timer Knob Assembly

When you click the timer knob part link you will see a video of how it comes off, once its off see if the plastic knob stem is cracked or broken.

Jake

giwatcher

Premium Member
Hi,

Let's check your timer knob first, on these GE models they are very common to break at the stem where it connects to the timer.

Here's the timer knob for your model:
WE1M964 Timer Knob Assembly

When you click the timer knob part link you will see a video of how it comes off, once its off see if the plastic knob stem is cracked or broken.

Jake
Well, you are right! I removed the knob in advance of replacing the timer, and looked at the shaft-cracked! the metal d shaped insert was rotated and could turn the timer shaft. I used pliers as a temporary fix while I wait for the knob. Much thanks.

Wx4usa

Premium Member
That’s a very common problem on these GE dryers. If you must use the dryer, on most you can pull off another knob from the left and use it a few days while you order the correct knob. Resist the temptation to use pliers as this can damage the shaft and you’ll need a new timer if that happens.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Well, you are right! I removed the knob in advance of replacing the timer, and looked at the shaft-cracked! the metal d shaped insert was rotated and could turn the timer shaft. I used pliers as a temporary fix while I wait for the knob. Much thanks.
Excellent, glad that was the only problem.:)

Jake