FIXED GTDP490ED0WS GE dryer runs only when start button is held

Newkirk

Premium Member
Model Number
GTDP490ED0WS
Brand
GE
Hello,

Came back from vacation and dryer ran for about 10 seconds, then stopped. Tried again, ran for 20 seconds, then stopped. Now it only runs while the start button is pressed, and stops when I let go, and is the same on all settings. The drum turns fine, and the dryer still heats. I did smell kind of a burnt electrical smell that I don't think was there before. Have seen this kind of problem addressed for other models/brands, but not this specific one. Any idea what could be causing this? If it's the motor, is it worth replacing? The dryer is only 3 years old and cost $450. Thanks!

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

Now it only runs while the start button is pressed
Make sure the belt isn't broken as the belt switch will do that if the belt is broken, slipped off or has shifted.

#803 G1406030-00001.jpg

Drive-Belt-WE12M29-01185606.jpg LINK> Dryer drum drive belt, 89-1/2 inches long, 4 ribs

[video=youtube;KcXgvrsMTgM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KcXgvrsMTgM[/video]

Failing that, might be a bad motor :(

jeff.

Newkirk

Premium Member
I'll open it up to check. But the drum seems to be turning fine. Will it still turn if the belt is broken or even shifted? Thank you!

jeff1

Staff member
No it will not.....but a bent switch or bent bracket on the belt switch will make the dryer "think" the belt is broken.

jeff.

Newkirk

Premium Member
Got the dryer apart and I think you're right that it's the belt switch. This is my first time using a multimeter, so I hope I did it the right way. I tested other parts for continuity and they were fine. On the belt switch, I touched the prods on the multimeter to the two prongs that stick out of the belt switch, and no continuity. There is continuity between the push to start switch and the belt switch, and between the belt switch and the motor, but no continuity within the belt switch itself. Does it seem like I did this the right way? If that's what it is, then it'll be an easy and cheap fix. Thanks!
Newkirk

jeff1

Staff member
Does it seem like I did this the right way?
Sounds like you did fine.
Just join the 2 wires together as a test and see if the dryer then runs.

jeff.

Newkirk

Premium Member
Joined the two wires and it ran! I'll order the switch today and will report back once the dryer is working again. Thanks so much for your help!
Newkirk

Newkirk

Premium Member
Got the belt switch and replaced it, and already did two loads! When I took the old switch off, I saw that the switch itself was broken (it was all the way in and wouldn't pop out). A relatively easy and very cheap fix--thank you!!!

FordmanND

Premium Member
I have a GE GTD42EASJWW 7.2 cu. ft. Electric Dryer w/ Aluminized Alloy Drum. If I hold the button in the dryer will start but stop if i let go of the start button but the drum will not turn. I opened the door and pushed in the door button and that's how I knew the drum wasn't rotating. If I remember correct this model doesn't have a belt it turns on bearings. Any ideas?

jeff1

Staff member