• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GTDP740ED0WW GE dryer won't get above 110 degrees at vent

Sully1

Premium Member
Model Number
GTDP740ED0WW
Brand
GE
Hi guys, need some ideas on where to go next. GE dryer ( with control board)takes a long time for drying. visually checked element and meter, it works fine, I watched both element heat up, but cycles off after a min or 2.

Ive changed out the thermistor and bench tested all 3 thermostats for continuity and heated them up and watched/listened them open and close properly.

( possibility: the 2 thermostats in the rear of the element housing are 260 and 300 degrees, the one on the blower housing is 140 degree, possibly some one put in the wrong temp thermostats?) controls are set on highest heat settings. what am I missing. thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I watched both element heat up, but cycles off after a min or 2.
It sounds like you have a vent restriction, thus the heating element is not getting good air flow through the heater housing and causing it to trip the Safety thermostat and cutting the heater OFF.

Pull the dryer out from the wall and disconnect the exhaust completely from the dryer, then see if it does the same thing without any clothes in it.

possibly some one put in the wrong temp thermostats?
Has someone worked on this dryer before? Did you buy this dryer brand new or used? If you bought it used, where did you buy it from? What store?

Jake

Sully1

Premium Member
since I took the element out, Ive had it broken down to the bare bones and cleaned every nook and cranny. it doesnt have anything hooked up to the vent, except when I put my vent hose that has a cooking thermometer installed to check out going temps. I took it on trade for another dryer That I fixed, so I don't really have any history on it. thanks