• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED GTS18FBSARWW GE Condenser Fan Noise After Installing New Motor

TricksyMuskrat

Premium Member
Model Number
GTS18FBSARWW
Brand
GE
Hello!

I'm not entirely sure how old my fridge is (I'm a renter and our landlord doesn't cover refrigerator repair) but over the last few months it began making a very high-pitched, squeaking sound. I located the source of the issue: the condenser fan motor. I ordered a replacement (WR60X10168) and installed it. The squeaking was gone but it was replaced by a constantly running, loud, thrumming sound. So, the new fan motor is making an incredible racket. It just sounds like a very noisy fan and it's nearly always running. It doesn't seem to be the actual motor that's making the noise as I removed the fan blade and the motor itself is running silently. I adjusted the fan blade forward and back and even ordered a new one but the loud fan hum is still there. I'm not sure what to do at this point and haven't been able to find any sort of advice around the internet. Any assistance would be appreciated!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's very odd, can you make a video of the noise and upload it to Youtube? then embed the video here.

I've replaced many condenser fan motors and don't remember ever having this problem, the new ones always run smooth as butter.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I 2nd that, sounds normal to me too.:)

Jake

TricksyMuskrat

Premium Member
Really? I'm not sure if you can tell from the video but it's running about as loud as the microwave. You can hear it across the house. Is this really what it's supposed to sound like? Maybe I'm just not used to it because the one we had before wasn't as loud because it was dying? I don't know but it does seem really loud.

TricksyMuskrat

Premium Member
So I was curious as to what the difference in the old and new fan was, and why the old fan was so quiet (except when it was squealing and squeaking) and why the new fan is so much louder. I installed the old fan motor and took video comparisons of both which can be viewed here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/puffg5gho41dtc3/Compressor%20Fan%20Comparison.mp4?dl=0
I guess the whole time we've lived here the fan was just on its last legs and going out and that's why it was so quiet? The problem is that we have an open floor plan and now we can hear the fan over the TV in the living room so it's a noticeable difference. But if this is just the sound I guess we'll just have get used to it. Haha!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yup, that's exactly what happened, the old fan was turning way to slow and was going out.

The new fan motor is turning normal and that's the sound its suppose to make.:)

Don't worry, after awhile you will not even notice it, your ears will tune it out.:)

Jake